Sharkies Reef

yess!! I'm excited! just going to have to make time to start it all up again!! all the LFS' sold out of their tanks yesterday at a sale apparently (go figure i'd be working instead) so i am just going to continue to wait until jan so i have a few days before school starts to get things going!

ooohhh and, my evil family will NOT be joining us for Christmas >:D

woot woot!!

Mum held up her end of her christmas raincheck and I got me some new corals! :D

so today i got to go and pick out 2 that i really wanted and she would get them for me. I got a large rock of daisies and a large rock of awesome orange and green hairy mushrooms :) They are still acclimating so i will have to post pics later when they are all ready and happy :)

Also, I am going to be getting a Zebra eel! :D I've been talking to one of our LFS and they are ordering me one and selling him to me cheaper because i've helped with a few eels they ahve there... so hopefully within the month I will have Kaluha to join the tank gang... as well as hopefully my new tank! they are ordering in a 55g and it should be here shortly! :D lets hope everything contines to work out!

woot woot!!

Mum held up her end of her christmas raincheck and I got me some new corals! :D

so today i got to go and pick out 2 that i really wanted and she would get them for me. I got a large rock of daisies and a large rock of awesome orange and green hairy mushrooms :) They are still acclimating so i will have to post pics later when they are all ready and happy :)

Also, I am going to be getting a Zebra eel! :D I've been talking to one of our LFS and they are ordering me one and selling him to me cheaper because i've helped with a few eels they ahve there... so hopefully within the month I will have Kaluha to join the tank gang... as well as hopefully my new tank! they are ordering in a 55g and it should be here shortly! :D lets hope everything contines to work out!
Nice, Congrats! Now lets see those pics! :)

yea you can, and one of our LFS has i think 6 or 7 different species of eels all in one.... at the aquarium we have 5 species all mixed in and they do fine together

typically eels are good with other agressive fish as long as they all have their own lil piece of the tank, from what i've heard boxfish are slow and not super aggressive tho, and don't live very long... or are those cowfish?

Cowfish are a type of boxfish.
But yeah they are pretty slow and only really aggressive toward inverts. But they're normalls fine in an aggressive tank as long as they're not wayy undersized.
Only problem with them is that you can't run a ton of flow through their tank or they won't be able to compete for food and they'll get pushed around by the current too much. They have a tough time competing for food to begin with though so you have to try feeding them on their own.
They're really cool fish with a ton of personality. They're in the puffer family, so they're very intelligent. I used to have a cowfish that I trained to "squirt for food". They shoot water jets at the sand bed to dig up snails and stuff, so I taught mine to shoot water out of the tank and I would feed it for a reward. He was by far the coolest fish ever, til he got stuck on a powerhead intake :(

aww thats a bummer solar, my shark was target trained even tho he was only a baby... its amazing how intelligent sea creatures are! our octopi at work are by far one of the most intelligent animals I've ever seen! :) I love visiting them, they "taste" you and will give you hickeys if they don't like you lol

but AS PROMISED here are some pictures! :D

Picture4-14.png

new daisy/clove polyps :)

Picture6-6.png

the mushiesssss!! :D

Picture9-1.png

Picture8-2.png

Kona enjoying his calurpa at the entrance of his "cave"

Picture7-3.png

annnnd a FTS! :)

and before you guys freak out about the calurpa, its actually something I WANT! lol. I really really really really love the planted look of aquariums... and i can blame that on work. I miss the flow, the seaweed/kelp breeze and hiding spaces for the fish and i feel like without it i don't quite have the whole picture.... so these small pieces of the stuff are going int othe eel tank :) Kona has been having a blast shredding and twirling and swimming in this lil bit that i put in the 20 and I get the stuff for FREE! so i'm goin to try to use it to my advantage and try to keep a planted reef tank with calurpa, and softies like mushrooms and buttons and feather dusters.... I am in LOOOOVE with my new mushies and want MOOOOORE! lol. I'm hoping these guys will spread out, they are great looking in my tank :)

Back