Shrimp keep dying... i think

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I just recently got a peppermint shrimp as a test to see if he would make it ok in my tank. I used to have 2 but they died the last time i moved my tank. Back to the one i just got... i acclimated him for about 2 hrs, not drip, but let t he bag float and added small amounts of water. He seemed fine when I left him in there, made his home in a big shell and everything, but since the second day i put him in there i havent seen him again... what gives??

All the rest of my inverts are alive... starfish, hermits, snails... i dont have a copper test, but i figured if it was copper, the rest of my CUC would be affected.

well what i think is when i had a shrimp and it died suddenly what happend is my ph dropped over night this is what u can do when your lights come on test your ph and see what it is if its to low add phbuffer

Most likely its just hiding, not dead. Peppermints are nocturnal creatures and usually come out at night. I have 5 of them and i see one ever now and then...but test your water to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

I see my pep shrimp about once a month. Most shrimp hide all day.

I'm really starting to like hermits over my other CUC. They're visible, have personality, and get into trouble!!

I only see my single little peppermint at feeding time and after lights out. Wait up until your tank lights have been out for about an hour, then move a flashlight through there to see if you catch him in the light! :)

Everytime I feed my tanks the peppermints come out. I know they cruise around all night. During lighted times it is only when food gets in the system. I would check your ph like kennedy said. Are you running a fuge on a reverse photo cycle?

I never see my pepperments either.Except when I add rotifers to the tank after the lights are out.
But just in case,whats your salinity?

Back