Skimmer education....??

fishmom

Certified Hospice Nurse
I have spent the better part of today skulking around on the forums...reading skimmer questons and answers. I feel more "informed"--but, I am getting alarmed with the issues of "floods"/"leaks".

Is there a right way/wrong way to start the things up? Is there a particular type/brand that is easier to use? (Keep $$$ in mind). Can I run the skimmer "part-time" (when I/we are home and keep an eye on it?

Thanks (again)..
~debi~

I have a cannister right now... and just bought a Skimmer and will be doing a sump with my 180. My husband is thrilled with doing a sump... and it's supposed to be 10000000000 times better.

There's all kinds of interesting reads on Sumps and sump design in the DIY area. That's where I got all my questions answered..simply by reading other posts.

Since you don't have a sump, you will need to use a hang on back (HOB) skimmer. The best brand of HOB skimmer is Octopus. You can find Octopus skimmers at

Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Supply, Aquarium Equipment, AquaCave.com Offers, Discount Fish Tanks & Fish Tank Supplies for Saltwater, Marine, Coral Reef Guide, Freshwater Aquarium

It usually takes a new skimmer a couple weeks to break in. During that time, you risk flooding. So it's best to plug it in, get it running, but dial it down all the way so that no water reaches the top of the cup. After a couple weeks, you can make adjustments so that it's collecting gunk in the cup.

Once you get the skimmer dialed in, the risk of having a flood is pretty low.

Since you don't have a sump, you will need to use a hang on back (HOB) skimmer. The best brand of HOB skimmer is Octopus. You can find Octopus skimmers at

Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Supply, Aquarium Equipment, AquaCave.com Offers, Discount Fish Tanks & Fish Tank Supplies for Saltwater, Marine, Coral Reef Guide, Freshwater Aquarium

It usually takes a new skimmer a couple weeks to break in. During that time, you risk flooding. So it's best to plug it in, get it running, but dial it down all the way so that no water reaches the top of the cup. After a couple weeks, you can make adjustments so that it's collecting gunk in the cup.

Isn't the "Rule of thumb" to get a skimmer "one size up" from your size tank....ie: my tank is 55 gallons--so would need something 90--120 gallons?

Isn't the "Rule of thumb" to get a skimmer "one size up" from your size tank....ie: my tank is 55 gallons--so would need something 90--120 gallons?

Optimally yes, you want to try and get a skimmer rated higher (twice) the size of your tank. You can find HOB skimmers rated for up to 200g tanks.

I've heard that there is such a thing as too big of a skimmer, however. That if the skimmer is too large and the bio load too low, the gunk will tend to collect more inside the neck than in the cup.

I've heard that there is such a thing as too big of a skimmer, however. That if the skimmer is too large and the bio load too low, the gunk will tend to collect more inside the neck than in the cup.

Right now I/we (hahahaha) have NO fish........still letting the tank settle down after the big disaster and change-over from nasty crushed coral to new, live sand. I do have 35+ pounds of live rock.....and some really "pretty" water.

Should I wait until I have a few fishes to get the skimmer...and maybe spend my money on an RO unit?

Yeah, I'd get the RODI unit first. If you have a small bioload, you can take care of water quality with water changes until you get a skimmer.

OK--I need some leads on a good RODI unit .....I have seen where you guys mention getting a good one for around $150....but I am finding only $250 and up.

Fish store has one for $250....but I trust your advice and judgment --more than theirs..and certainly more than MINE!!

http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

Does this look like a good one. My hubs seems to think it would be fairly easy to use....

That's the same one I've been using and it's been using and my TDS has always been 0. You should get the TDS meter from them too so you can occasionally test your water and make sure your filters don't need to be replaced. Also, if yo don't have good water pressure, order the booster pump with it because anything less than 40psi going into the filter and you will hardly get any water coming out.

Happy New Year!! Got the new Octopus HOB skimmer hooked up, 'hanging' and running. Tons of bubbles in the canister body but nothing even really reaching up into the cup.....just wondering;

When you say "dial it down all the way"--uh...I don't see a dial. We can adjust the cup up and down. Is that what you are talking about?:question:

Yep, moving the cup up and down will adjust how much of the bubbles make it into the cup. It may take several weeks for your skimmer to break in so that you can get the cup where you want it. For now, lower the cup in very very small increments till you see the bubble just start to reach the top of the cup.

Back