Skimmer Mod

BigH55

I'm that guy
So I was at an LFS and they had this skimmer there for 40 bucks. It was rated at 100 gal so I figured hey its better than the seaclone. Then a light went off, why couldnt i hook the pump from the seaclone, which is a MJ with a carburator on it onto the new skimmer. I drilled a hole in the side of the skimmer, fitted the MJ to it and let it rip. Im proud to say that the skimmer is working great and is producing a thick head of foam. It kinda reminds me of a recirculating skimmer. LMK what you think.

If you insist.
skimmer004.jpg

skimmer002.jpg

skimmer003.jpg

Before the mod it wasn't near as faomy and you could still see somewhat through the body of the skimmer.

Thats not mine. It was like that when i bought it. Its a water diffuser now! Was in the bucket of rubble rock covering the load of tonga rock.

I dont think its to bad for $40 bucks and a hole. I think im goiong to use it on the 20 gal frag system that is in the works. Think it will do okay for it?

Well i just cant leave well enough alone, I upgraded the pump to a MJ 1200 and now it looks like bubblebath coming out of it.

I dont think its to bad for $40 bucks and a hole. I think im goiong to use it on the 20 gal frag system that is in the works. Think it will do okay for it?

From the looks of the foam.I dont see reason for it not to work.

Update: Skimmer is working great. Im going to use it on my new tank and see what happens. Im pretty pleased with the mod.

Back