Smitty's Reef

Well, I had a bit of a scare when I got home from work last night at 9:30PM. I went up to feed the fish/corals and noticed that some of the corals looked limp and kind of flat and some of the zoanthids were closed up. I felt the water and it was warm. Stupid me forgot to leave any windows open in the house and the temp inside shot to 88 degrees. Not sure how hot it was during the heat of the day. Anyway, I took the temp and it was 84/85 degrees. I immediatly got a fan and put on full blast over the tank and shut down the lights. I'm thinking of making some RO/DI ice cubes to keep on hand for a heat emergency. Good idea or no?

I think the fan idea will be better than the ice cubes...a few cubes won't even lower the temp, you'll need a whole lot of cubes...I hope your corals recover. That's another drawback of having a smaller tank I guess, the temp raises and falls quickly according to the room temp.

I think the fan idea will be better than the ice cubes...a few cubes won't even lower the temp, you'll need a whole lot of cubes...I hope your corals recover. That's another drawback of having a smaller tank I guess, the temp raises and falls quickly according to the room temp.

I think they're ok. They looked a lot better this morning. That's the hottest I've ever seen my tank. It normally stays around 78/79. I have to buy a small fan to clip on the side of the tank and set a timer for it to go on during the middle of the day for a few hours while its hot.

If my tank hits 79.5*,my RKL turns on my fan.:D At 81,it'll cut the halides off,and at 81.5,all the lights turn off and an alarm goes off.
JMO,But I think investing in a temp controller should be right up there with the lights.

Good afternoon everyone...just an update...I just received my fedex package from a friend in CA, containing several sps corals...the following corals - neon lime birdsnest, yellow potato chip pavona, purple polyped birdsnest, gold tip clavularia, purple stylophora, gold spongodes or spumosa. Taking them out the box as I speak.

Here's the pic straight out of the box...
SU1HMDAyODAtMjAxMDA2MDItMTA0Ni5qcGc.jpg

Back