Smitty's Reef

I'm sitting here watching my female emerald crab releasing hundreds of baby fry/eggs into the water column, and the clown fish is literally going crazy and picking each one of them off as quick as she releases them. She's in the bottom left corner of the picture.
2012-06-14193659.jpg

Out of curiosity, Smitty, what made you decide to use so much rock? Did you just want the added filtration or do you prefer the look?

Looks wonderful, btw.

Thank you...I originally had all this rock in my 55 gal reef tank a few years ago, but my ex wife bleached my tank during a rage, killing everything instantly. I re-treated the dead rock and just packed it all into my smaller tank. I'm still using majority of my equipment in there too(4 powerheads, protein skimmer rated for 90 gal, 300 watt heater). So it's a small tank, with a big tank heart. :)

Well I bet with all that rock you have a really terrific biological filter going!

Do you have a lot of breeding copepods/amphipods with that much rock space?

Oh yeah, I'm big on filtration...i also have a filter sock in my sump, with cheato growing in my fuge and another 10 lbs of live rock in the fuge also. The pods are running rampant and breed like crazy.

Back