Smitty's Reef

I wish I had a setup where I was able to put in a sump. I just don't have the available space or skills for that matter.

It also worries me, too with a free-flowing amount of water flowing into the overflow and into the sump and then a pump returning the water...it worries me that one will overflow or something and I live in an apt and that would be catastrophic haha.

I didn't run a sump for awhile for the same reasons why you don't want one, and just recently added it to my system. But I took a chance and have loved it every since I added it. As long as it's set up correctly, there really aren't any issues to worry about. Whatever size container, tank, bucket you can fit into your stand, can be turned into a sump.

I've strongly considered it. Petco has some little aquariums they call "desktops". Like 3 gallons...and it would be nice to get the heater and the protein skimmer out of the actual tank.....

...but as far as I know there's no kits that come ready-to-use and I am as far from a DIY person as is possible. I have a toolbox with a few screwdrivers and a hammer haha.

I figure if my tank upkeep gets to be a lot I may attempt to set up a small sump underneath. An auto-top-off situation would be a convenient thing to have as well...but like I said...I don't really know enough about the dynamics to do it "right" and it terrifies me funneling water from one thing to another. I think I'd always worry about an overflow.

As time goes on, and you become more familiar/comfortable with the hobby...or when you upgrade your tank, you'll eventually get one. And we'll help you set it up. :)

Darn, my power just went off in my area at approx. 4:45 this morning..i gotta keep an eye on the tank, it doesn't take long for the water to hit 88-90°. Smh

Sorry bro...i don't have one. I'm at home all day, so I'll do what I used to do in the past, pour tank water into the tank manually with a cup. I also have frozen gatorade bottles in the freezer on stand by.

Please tell me that you @least have the battery powered air pump handy!!

Oh crud! That reminds me.
I don't have battery air pumps but I had one of my HOB filters (no media) hooked up to an uninterruptible power supply. When we lose power, at least one device keeps the water moving to a certain extent.

During our move I must have put the ups in one of the boxes that went to storage.
I gotta go find it haha.
I completely forgot about that when I was setting up the tank at the new place.

+1 frozen gatorade bottles...
I ran into the same situation 3 weeks ago Smitty..luckily the power was back on within 2 hrs, but it was in the 90's that day so I take the same route and have frozen gatorade bottles on hand just in case.

My buddie gave me an unknown birdsnest coral, hopefully it'll color up nicely.
2012-06-28135812.jpg

Back