Smitty's Reef

It looks like the middle is more spot lighted now, I'm assuming it's the same height the old MH was?

Actually, the Led is about twice as high as the mh...the halide was about 12in from the water surface, and the Led is about 20in from the surface...but you're right about the middle being more lit.

Alright guys...I just put the light up, it looks "ok", I guess I have to get used to them, instead of the mh.
SU1HMDA3MjctMjAxMTA0MTMtMjAzMi5qcGc.jpg
What kind of lights did you put up?

Do you know what kind of lens you have on there? The AI brand light said some leds are 40 and some are 70. Wondering if the 70 angle lens would give it more of an even spread? I am also thinking of upgrading to the LED, just have not decieded which ones yet. Northstar got the AIs and he lives by me and I might stop over and check his out. Unless you are D2 with the camera I don't think a pic does it justice. Keep us posted what you think in the long run with those.

I can't play with my new toy today...My gf decided she wants to go out to eat and then to culver's for some ice cream. Plus I have to get some wire to hang it from the ceiling from home depot or lowes.

Gahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Got to culvers for dinner and ice cream!!!!!!!!!!! save a good hour so you can hang those lights.:mrgreen:

Looks good. Hope you arent loosing too much light by having it that high

Last edited:
Do you know what kind of lens you have on there? The AI brand light said some leds are 40 and some are 70. Wondering if the 70 angle lens would give it more of an even spread? I am also thinking of upgrading to the LED, just have not decieded which ones yet. Northstar got the AIs and he lives by me and I might stop over and check his out. Unless you are D2 with the camera I don't think a pic does it justice. Keep us posted what you think in the long run with those.

Sorry, I have the slightest idea if it's 40 or 70. I'm starting to like them more and more. I believe the AI's are better than the one I have, but cost waaayyy more. You're right, I need a professional photographer, because I simply can't capture the intense colors this light gives the corals, you'll have to see it in person to believe it. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the tanks progress.

Gahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Got to culvers for dinner and ice cream!!!!!!!!!!! save a good hour so you can hang those lights.:mrgreen:

Looks good. Hope you arent loosing too much light by having it that high

Culvers was soooooo good! :mrgreen:

Thanks BJ...they are just as bright as though they were directly over the tank when I first set it up. I did a lot of reading online and have been told by other aquarist with led's that they can be mounted on the ceiling, and still give off good lux/par readings. I have mine exactly 3ft from the water surface...I'll continue to monitor the corals closely, for any growth, or if the start to recede from the light being to far away.

smitty, ive been thinking about getting LEDs and my LFS carries the ecorays, do they run warm? and do can the bulbs burn out(if they do, do you know how to replace them?)

Nope, they don't run warm, led's don't really heat up, and then the unit has an internal fan, and is vented on all for sides and the top. You could literally touch the casing and lights and there is only a warm feel to it. I don't think the bulbs will burn out, they have a lifetime of 50,000+ hrs. But I don't think they could be changed out if that does happen.

Stopped by a mom&pop lfs today just to look, and seen a fuzzy mushroom rock not looking too good. He stated it was $47.00, but I advised it was unhealthy and may die, so he offered it to me for $15.00. It has about 9 heads on it. I bet I can get it nice and healthy again. :mrgreen:
SU1HMDA4MDItMjAxMTA0MjktMTYxNi5qcGc.jpg

Back