So I got tired of the lights

Fastlight

Semper FI
I had on my aquarium 2 18in 15w lights on my tank.grrr Everyone knows im saving up for my lights. But in the mean time I being an electrican have a bunch of old 4ft t-8 fixtures and lamps. So I put on top of my tank a 1x4, It has 4 32watt t-8 lamps. they run at 3200k. It def put light into the tank. My concern is what will it do to algae growth. right now there is minimal amount on my rock cause my cuc ate alot and the wimpy lights i had on there. I beleive i red somewhere that algae like the lower spectrum.
so
1. Will i get ill effects of algae growth if i run these 3200k bulbs for a while? Drf&s lamp guide says they use that spectrum on fish only freshwater.
2. I have a canopy sitting around so I have a really cheap way of making the canopy light up with t-8 bulbs. If I do this being it will be a while yet b4 i can get my t-5 fixture should I get like 2 10000k bulbs and 2 actinics?
3. Do they even sell these lamps in t-8?

My figure is i can make a cheap fixture with some cheap bulbs that can tide me over till i get my t-5. Firing up the one i got now just makes me drool as 2 how bright my tank will be when i get my 8x54w t-5:^:

Just run down to your LFS and pick up a set of the T-8 VHO bulbs.
The LFS I help at runs a couple of those T-8 fixtures hanging over the fish only displays.
And you'll probably get some algae growth.Just how much is anybodies guess.

I know that Aquatraders.com sells some pretty cheap lights, I have their t-5s(24") and they are great.

Yote the problem with vho is that you have to have the ballast to run them i believe they are 100w lamps at 48" the most my ballast will run is 40watt.
Its the color temp im worried about.

Didnt think of the difference in ballast.But then again,I aint no sparky either:D
But I'm gonna bet the shift in the spectrium will give you some algae.Shoot,just changing out the old bulbs can cause algae to grow.

You are right Fastlight,VHO bulbs will not work with your ballast.They do make normal output T-8 bulbs in daylights and actinics.The 3200k will enhance algae growth,besides its a harsh looking color with two actinics are needed to balance the look.

T8 only refers to the bulb diameter. I know you can go to Lowes or HD and buy 48" 40w T12 6500K bulbs. They cost about $3 each.

Well I did some research because I was wondering what is it about t-8 that are so different than the t-5.(other than diameter) Because 8 40w t-8 or even 32 w is very close to the wattage of say a 6x54 nova extreme pro. Because I can stuff 8 of these t-8 under my canopy and only have to buy some actinics and 10000k. and 4 an xtra kick get some individual reflectors. The big difference is LUMENS after calling a local dist. i found out that t-5 have almost twice the lumens as t-8. This is why t5 are so good. The thing is i still plan on rigging up lamps under my canapy most likely 8 of them and get some nice lamps. I can grow most lps and softies and shrooms. Which is good cause im not to concerned about sps right now. Then this way i can have a nice tank to look at till i can afford the good lights. Or if i run into mh ballast at work(which everyonce in awhile i do) i can put 2 of those under there and have lights for way less than buying even some of the cheapest t-5.

Well for 50buck i added 2 actinic lamps and 6 6500k lamps Oh boy does the tank look good. I cant imagine what my tank will look like with a good set of t5 on there!!!! but at least this way the purple kicks back out and the tank is looking good!!!!!

oh i will on my build thread cause i went to the lfs today....u know you walk in and its hard not to walk out with a lighter wallet :D

Back