Soft Corals for Black Clowns to Host?

istrahd

Reefing newb
I am planning on picking up a pair of black clownfish (I don't know the species' Latin Name) and my tank is far to new to even attempt an anemone.

What would be a few different types of soft corals that the clowns will host? I don't trust the LFS enough to buy what they recommend... They just want to make a sale and couldn't care less if the clowns like the coral or not, being the only SW LFS in the area.

I would like a few suggestions on different types so I can find at least one or two that my LFS has in stock. Also, please let me know what if any special feeding/dosing I will need to do for the corals.

I am mainly trying to start off with a pair of clowns (and something for them to host) and a CUC of snails, a few (Less than 5) crabs and MAYBE a starfish. I am still trying to decide on more fish to add starting next month...

Maybe a toadstool or fuzzy mushroom, euphyllia (hammers, torch, frogspawn), green star polyps. Most corals such as the ones I listed don't need to be fed and can grow just by using light.

Clowns will host most anything. Just because you put it in there is not a guarantee that they will host it. However, you could try any fuzzy mushroom, or a common hammer or frogspawn.
I would also not try any of the stars just yet if your tank is as new as you say. You will need to let some crap build up to sustain him.

I'm sorry but there is no straight forward answer to your question. Clowns are known to host a lot of different things: Mushrooms, frogspawn, colt, hammer, duncans, power heads, mag floats, corner of the tank, etc... There is a pair at my LFS that host a huge clam. It is totally up to the clowns. Even introducing an anemone is no guarantee they will host. Good luck!

My two host the LocLine return on the left side of my tank....I had some in the past that hosted a big Trachyphillia open brain coral....one never knows....they're clownfish after all....

Okay... Thanks for the answers everyone. I will do some reading on the ones listed above. Maybe the clowns will host them, maybe not... I would like something in the tank for them besides my rocks, sand & powerhead... Also, the colors would be nice as my Dry Rock is still rather white.

I just needed somewhere to start in researching corals for my tank. There are just so many to choose from I needed a starting point. A few corals that the clowns might host seemed like a good place to start.

From the reading I have done on clownfish, their name suits them quite well! They are odd little critters!

Back