Spazzer's 180

Spaz059

Reefing newb
Well I just picked this up yesterday but do to the fact I had my nose cauterized I can't do any work on it for couple of days. It doesn't need much but does need some.

It is a 180 gallon acrylic 6x2x2, came with the protein skimmer can't find a brand name or anything on it but looks capable of the tank. Dual 1in overflows, 2 3/4" Sea swirls, 55 gallon sump, and another sump the previous owner used a closed loop for the Sea Swirls and something else from the main sump. Last thing it did come with ballasts, reflectors and bulbs for 3 400watt 20k metal halide set-up.

I paid $700 for this set-up, good or bad deal?

Stay tuned

Spazzer

IMAG0489.jpg

IMAG0490.jpg

Last edited:
Nice buy if it holds water. I would also reinforce the stand, looks a little skimpy and 180g of salt water weighs easily 1500+ lbs. I wouldnt trust it with that stand.

Sweet good to know needs a couple small things here and there, but it should be up and running with in the next week or two!

Good deal, not bad for $700.00. It"s identical to my tank, except my overflow is on the end. I agree with buddy08 though the stand looks a little light, you might want to reinforce it. I used 2"x4" 's & 2"x6" 's on the stand I built. You might wanna put some bracing in there, just to be safe.

I appreciate the advice on the stand there is a piece that isn't in that picture that would make it look more sturdy. But I do like the idea of the 2x6's and 2x4's, where did you place them on your stand Gizmo??

Awesome I was just speaking with my brother the other day and we have figured a plan to reinforce the stand. Should have most of this done and ready for plumbing sometime next week. What type of pump should I be looking at? I was thinking a Eheim 1262 or something like this as a submersible.

Oh wow!! That's an awesome deal! Most would've wanted at least $1500 (because of the stand). Did you do a leak check?

Did a leak check replaced the one bulk head that leaked right overflow box. Other than that everything is great. Getting durso overflows this week. Pump and sand should be up and running in no time got a killer deal on salt from a shop near by so I'm ready to go.

Once this tank is up and running would this be enough flow;

1 MP40 (hope to add a 2nd when money allows)
The return Eheim 1262 or Mag 12
and 2-750 Koralias (behind the rocks, to eliminate dead zones)

Also should I add some actinics to the current lighting which is;

3 400 watt 20k bulbs

IMO your flow isn't really a lot but, should be ok till you get the second MP40.

And the actinics would really be up to you. Do you want a bluer look to your tank? If so, add the actinics but if not, you won't need to add anything else.

Recommendations for flow then with an MP40? Until I could obtain a second one? I already have the 2-750 GPH koralias on my current tank that's why I was going to use them.

I also have a 1200 GPH koralia that came with the tank I could use as well, just looking for the proper flow for the tank. All help is definitely appreciated!

As for the actinics if they are not necessary then I will not add them I was just making sure the corals would or wouldn't benefit from them since I am using 20k bulbs.

Last edited:
Oh right somehow I must have typed the wrong things into the calculator for some reason. But yeah in that case I would need more flow, for now I will use all three koralias when the tank is up and running, plus the vortech.

Ordered the return pump today, should be in tomorrow. I should have the plumbing and everything done thursday. Should be water ready beginning of next week when my durso's come in.

Taking a little bit longer than I thought to get this thing wet but family medical issues always come first. Now that it has calmed I was able to order the durso's, the powerheads, and the rock from brs. So it's getting close top being wet.

Back