Spazzer's 180

tank looks great glad to see it coming along for you.. Down the road if you are unhappy with the submersible return pump or it dies on you I would recommend looking at an external, on larger tanks they offer alot better head pressure.. :D

Alright the tank is filled had one little minor issue, while filling that the bulk on the right did leak but it was my fault. When I installed the durso's and screwed them in from the top I loosened the bulk head while tightening it down. So I pulled it and pre-tightened it before re-installing. Fixed the problem!

Now questions for everyone;

I think I made a bad choice in sand... I got a sugar fine sand that seems to be blowing around every where. Is this typical? Will it calm down? Did I make a bad choice?

I have two 3250 koralia's, placement seems a little tough when facing at one another the currents collide and don't seem to do the right job. Would it be better to have both on one side or opposites?

Thank you for the support you have all provided so far and I'm sure it's not the end.

@marcah I would probably have to agree with you on the externals, but I have what I have now if anything were to fail in the future I think I would go external.

Yea unfortunately, that sand is really fine. Most people don't use it because it does get blown around so easily.

Other than getting rid of the sand, is there any way to combat it I am going with a shallow sand bed so I currently only have 60lbs in there.

you could always mix it with another 20lbs of live. and try messing with your power heads on back glass at each end and aiming sweeping across front glass one higher than other and one aiming alittle lower

Alright new update with pics, everything is running like a champ! The excitement after the exhausting set up process is finally setting in, I'll be out of town next week taking care of my grandmother so I guess it's a bonus I don't have to worry about starring at my cycling tank for a week :P.

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0512.jpg

Finally!! The tank has finished cycling, took a little longer than I thought it was going to take, but no need to rush in this hobby.

Been a couple weeks now since it finished and I added my first fish and corals from the old tank, my firefish goby was the first to go. He was very active for the first hour or so and now he has buried himself in the rocks and hasn't been out quite yet.

Moved the powerheads around so I could get the sand to the front, which actually worked.

I will post pics in a couple days when I get some free time.

Hey again all, it's been since April since I posted on this tank had some life pressing matters that took a little bit more precedence. But now that things have settled down I am able to give my tank a little more affection.

I have run skimmer-less since say one and am pleased to say all water parameters are right where they need to be. The only issue I am seeing though is that I have a hair algae problem that i'm beginning to deal with going to be ordering some snails from reefcleaners here very soon.

Unfortunately while I had my issues with life going on I decided to get rid of all the corals I had in the tank so they could survive with a better home. I kept my dersa clam and fish so currently just running a FOWLR with a clam... I also still have the issue with the fine sand I chose which I'm looking to remedy in November and get the sand I'm currently using in my refugium.

I don't currently have a great camera so I will wait to post pics till next Friday when I pick up my new Iphone 5.

If anyone has some insight other than a beefier clean up crew for hair algae, please let me know it's growth has slowed since about 2 weeks ago but I just want to get it to be little to none. Also another thing does anyone have experience using algae free magnet cleaners like a tiger shark or their other products. I'm looking into those but want to know some first hand use first.

Missed everyone and hope all is well.

Back