SPS growth questions

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Are sps similar to plants in how they will grow bushy when they are getting the right amount of light or even too much. All of the growthh on my birdsnest is sideways instead of up and the top is turning a very light pink where the rest is orange, sound normal?

A lot of how SPS grows depends on a lot of different factors.Light,strength of the water flow along with the flow pattern,the coral itself.
A straight current will kinda push new growth in the direction of the flow where a chaotic flow may make them branch out more.
Sounds like yours is doing what it should be.

sounds normal well whats left of my birdsnest is growing straight up i only could save a 1\4 peice of it so i laid it down and now there is about 5 or 6 new branches starting to comne up on it but it is a light pink

sounds normal, my ORA green birds nest has grown from 1" tall x 1" across to 1 1/2 tall x 2 1/4" across, they all grow differently depending on flow, light, and water quality. Thats the beauty of SPS, you never know what it'll do

Im pretty impressed with the growth this coral has put out, Ive had it for a month maybe two and it has put on 1/8 to 1/4 inch on all branches. It was a mini colony when I got it too so I guess that is what makes it so impressive to me.

Dustin havent you been following my build thread? Almost all of my additions lately have been sps. And that was my first one!

i know that you have almost all SPS but the reason i said that is because colonies of birdsnest are harder to maintain then small frags of birdsnest

100_1591.jpg

Here is a pic for you though. Still sounding/looking normal?

Thats a nice BN colony Ryan. My first BN was a 6"x6" maricultured colony and it bleached from the base out in 3 weeks. All of my aquacultured frags have THRIVED though. Even one that fell between the rocks and stayed in the shadows for 3 weeks! I think that flow reaching the inside branches of the colony have a lot to do with colony deaths IMO

I here it all time from reefers that maricultured/wild colonies tend to brown out.Probably the reason is the small frags are adjusted to artificial lighting.

Looking good Ryan.

Back