SPS growth

Ok Ill play,

Idaho Grape Monti January

100_1513.jpg

It broke in two so Ill show both Monti Today

TankPics002.jpg

TankPics001-1.jpg

Birdsnest when I got it(December I think)

100_1423.jpg

Birdsnest Today

TankPics003.jpg

It really does! Every week I look at it, it seems bigger. If you look at the pics their is a ridge that is where the original frag was, Im thinking about three months ago.

I never heard of strontium affecting branch thickness. That's usually a sign of high or low flow.
Anyway, here's a good article on stontium.
Strontium and the Reef Aquarium
From the article...
"There has never been a published study that showed exactly what happens to the health of corals (as measured via calcification rates or any other means) when strontium is absent.
There have been numerous studies that have shown what happens when strontium is raised above natural levels. In those studies, the amount of strontium incorporated rises linearly with strontium concentration up to at least 300 ppm in Stylophora pistillata.30 It has also been shown that calcium and strontium uptake may use the same pathways, since they are both inhibited by the same organic molecules that block certain protein transporters.30 Depending on the conditions, calcification can increase on adding extra strontium, as it does with added calcium.31,32 Nevertheless, these studies say little about whether natural levels of strontium are important for normal calcification."
and...
"My recommendation is to maintain strontium in reef aquaria at something approaching natural levels. There is no evidence that strontium at these levels in detrimental to any marine organism (although it might be). There is strong scientific evidence that some organisms need strontium, albeit not the organisms that most reef keepers maintain. Finally, there is anecdotal evidence from a number of advanced aquarists that depleted strontium is detrimental to the growth of corals that many aquarists maintain."

I paid $12.50 for that frag. It was about 1.5" when I got it. I don't remember if the guy I got it from said if it was ORA or not...not that it really matters. ;)

Good to know! $12.50 is a steal for that frag, nice! Yeah who cares if its ORA or not, if it looks good and its hardy, what's the diff?

what salts are you guys using, im outta kent and have to pick up another bucket tomorrow but wanna switch brands, but with the fluctuations RC has had im hesitant to use it

I like Oceanic. Good calcium, mag and supposedly potassium ( I don't test for K). drsfostersmith sometimes has excellent prices on 200gal buckets of Oceanic with cheap shipping.

Back