Starting Up Again

shotspot

Reefer Madness
Hi everyone, starting up my saltwater hobby after being away from it for 5 years.
Appreciate any help, heres what I have to start up again

55 G Tank
Fluval 104 cannister filter
Seaclone 100 protein skimmer
200 watt heater
Green Killing Machine UV Sterillizer
Whisper 60 Filter
2 power heads ( don't know if I should use undergravel filter or not)

Hi and welcome! Definitely skip the undergravel filter. They are pretty much worthless for saltwater tanks. I would also pass on the canister filter unless you are able to thoroughly clean it every week, or else it will cause nitrates to build up. Are you planning on a fish only or reef tank? What you decide to go with will dictate what kind of lights you will need to buy.

Depends on what you want to keep... SeaClones are not good skimmers, there are much better skimmers you can get in the same price range. If you are only going to keep a few fish, then what you have will be fine. If you plan on stocking your tank moderately or heavily, then you should definitely upgrade skimmers.

do you have a sump or is everything HOB? List looks good to me for a start.

-Doc

With a better skimmer and plenty of live rock(1-2lbs per gallon)then you really wouldn't need any other filtration.All you need in addition is a couple of good powerheads for flow.

You can still go with what you have.I would only run the canister on a part time basis.They really need to be cleaned weekly to avoid nitrate buildup.

Have you decided on what kind of system?
FOWLR(fish only with live rock) or reef.If your going reef,have you thought about what you wanted to keep?

The other residents have you pretty well covered.But I'll throw in my 2 cents.
I wouldnt use the seaclone on anything bigger than a 30gal.They just dont have umph it takes for anything bigger than that.
The canister will work,but you'll have to give a complete and through cleaning once a week or it'll cause you problems.
I'll also suggest to use 2X 100 watt heaters instead of the 200 watt.That way if the stat happens to stick on with one of em,it shouldnt cook your tank.

right but like biff said for the price you can get a better skimmer, doesnt have to be a bigger skimmer. hell even a prism would be better.

Welcome back and good luck. I have a canister on my 80 gal for the time being, no nitrate probs, but I do clean it every week, speaking of which.... guess what im doing tonight haha

Thanks for all the advice...found the bill for the Seaclone 100 its going back to the store. Any suggestions on a better skimmer, I paid $79 for the
Seaclone and want to stay around the same price...thanks for the help...Bob

Back