Stocking - 150

foxymoxy

Reefing newb
The only fish I am keeping in this tank is my zebra eel. I also have a few soft corals; two mushrooms, long polyp, xenia, hammer and a doughnut coral. Of course the CUC. The tank they are being added to is 3 years old. I cant believe it has already been 3 years...time sure does fly when your having fun :D
List:
Purple Anthias
Basslets - probably royal gramma
Goby - never owned one of these...i have heard mix reviews...i have fine crushed coral for bedding
2 False Percula Clownfish
Royal Dottyback
Neon Dottyback
Copperband Butterfly - i have read they are a hit or miss species (your opinion?)
Sixliner - always wanted one so will more than likely will get
Exquisite Wrasse

First off, I think with an established eel, anything you add is going to look like a nice juicy dinner. I'd either relocate the eel or choose an aggressive stocking list.

If you stick with the above list, then I think it looks okay for the most part. The basslet and dottybacks will fight. If your tank is the 6ft long 150g then you might be able to have both, but I don't think they will work together in a 4ft tank. The two dottybacks will also likely duke it out, so if you are really set on having both then I'd add them simultaneously. I'd skip the copperband - they are mostly "miss" fish, and they are peaceful fish who will easily be stressed out by the eel, basslet, dottybacks, or sixline (the more aggressive species on your list). Stressed fish can become sick more easily, and in the case of an already difficult species like the CBB stress will likely cause it to stop eating and starve to death pretty quickly. I also would not add the goby if you keep the eel - they are fun fish but because its a bottom dweller I think the eel will make a very quick lunch out it. Also, a sand-sifting goby will have trouble with crushed coral as the grain size will be too big. Finally, w/ a 150g tank you can actually a few more fish than what you have on the list, a couple tangs or dwarf angel might make fun additions as wel!

The eel wont be any problems. His main diet is suppose to be sea urchins, shrimps and crabs. He has never touched any of my sea urchins and I add cleaner shrimp after removing the lionfish. I do feed my lionfish live food twice a year and the eel had no interest. It was only the lionfish that chased after them for a meal. The eel has not gone after any of the shrimp. The eel was added second and the tang and foxface came after. He didnt go after the new additions. I will keep a close eye on him and see how it goes. If he is aggressive than I will move him. He is very much at home in the tank and seems to enjoy himself.

I wont get the goby. I was not sure which type of sandbed it needed. How do dwarf angels far with corals? I will get the six-liner wrasse since it is my favourite fish. Do you have any recommendations for companions?

Last edited:
I wont get any more tangs. My foxface is very aggressive and is very picky about her tank mates. I know if I get a tang when it get bigger it will have to be moved. So, it would be best not to add any fish that cannot live in a smaller tank.

I wont get any more tangs. My foxface is very aggressive and is very picky about her tank mates. I know if I get a tang when it get bigger it will have to be moved. So, it would be best not to add any fish that cannot live in a smaller tank.

I misunderstood and thought you only had an eel in the tank as of now. What else do you already have in the 150 besides the eel and foxface?

I moved out of that tank a lionfish, foxface and a tang. They have all out grown the small tank. I will be adding small fish only to the 150.

Well hell, I didn't know this, LA recently updated their description for the eel.

The Zebra Moray Eel is an ideal moray for the community fish tank. It poses no threat to its fish tank mates or the aquarist, and is often out and about during the day rather than at night. A 125 gallon or larger aquarium must be provided with crevices for hiding that are large enough to conceal the eel's entire body.

I moved out of that tank a lionfish, foxface and a tang. They have all out grown the small tank. I will be adding small fish only to the 150.

I see. There are some small tangs that will not outgrow a 150g, even if it is a 4ft tank. The kole tang, yellow tang, and chocolate tang are some possibilities if you ever decide you do want to try a tang again.

chocolate tang? i have actually never heard of this tang before...i will just have to check to out since i love chocolate :D

If it is 150g if it isn't 6 feet it could likely be 5 feet which will house a wider variety of tangs. If you want a tang in there.
So how long is your 150?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Mimic Lemon Peel Tang

The Mimic Lemon Peel Tang, also known as the Mimic Surgeon, or Chocolate Surgeonfish, has an oval, yellow body while a juvenile. It has blue highlights around the eyes and gill covers, mimicking the Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissimus). (Many of the Acanthurus sp. mimic angelfish.) When mature, the body color darkens towards tan with red highlights forming around the eyes and pectoral fins. The dorsal, anal, and caudal fins take on the hues of green but remain tipped with the tan body color. A 70 gallon or larger aquarium with large amounts of live rock is necessary to provide both plenty of swimming room, and territories within the live rock. It is aggressive towards other Tangs and Surgeonfish, but is peaceful with other fish.

Speaking from experience, these fish are slow growers and not as active as other larger tangs. I have one that is still a juvenile in my 90g that hasn't grown much in the 7 months that I've had her. I got her from Diver's Den and she is super healthy, never a sign of ich, and is very peaceful with my other fish. She is still about 2 1/2 inches, same size as when I got her, and she eats very well. I expect that she will be just fine in my 4ft 90g tank for years to come.

So far my list
six-liner
chocolate tang
basslet fish

that is it so far ^^ i will have to do some more research on fish compatibility.

Last edited:
Back