Strange Polyp Needs ID

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I've had these polyps pop up on one rock in the past few months. I've had these rocks for years, and never seen anything like them. As far as I can tell, they didn't hitch hike in on any other corals either, as they are isolated in one spot far away from anything else. They are soft and fleshy and retract when I touch them. They don't look like any sort of majano that I've ever seen -- they are definitely not the majano that is in my tank. They have short tentacles, and are surrounded by a ring of white dots.

What are these? As you can see, there are about 6 of them growing in close proximity to each other.

IMG_4062.jpg

Last edited:
I go to reply and now I cant remember what those are called.But they are a type of coral and pretty rare if I'm thinking right.

Biff, If I can call you that. Are you still selling that cheeto stuff or was that just a joke I was missing? If yes send me what I need to do next.
Ted

Idk??? Looks like Biffjanos to me. :mrgreen:

I hope not. Those look nothing like majanos!

Aquatic Herpes?

Prooooooobably not.

I go to reply and now I cant remember what those are called.But they are a type of coral and pretty rare if I'm thinking right.

You'd better remember! Because I really need an answer!! :mrgreen:

As an aside - Biff, what is the red stuff growing around it? Is that a coral or just algae?

Oh man. That is what I call my red velvet algae. It's soft and fuzzy, like velvet. I still can't find any definitive answers on what it actually is. Yote has said that it's a type of algae that grows in low-nutrient systems. My LFS believes it's actually a type of coralline. What I know is that it is covering every single rock in my tank, and that corals have a hard time "gripping" it and growing on top of it. It's not ugly, and it doesn't seem to be a "pest", but it does make placement of my corals pretty difficult. Superglue and epoxy won't stick to it either.

Biff, If I can call you that. Are you still selling that cheeto stuff or was that just a joke I was missing? If yes send me what I need to do next.
Ted

Just send me a PM and I'll give you my PayPal info.

If the great Biff can't identify it what makes you think we can?

I was hoping someone here would be able to ID it for me!!

They may be some sort of paly, but I think they are too small. The largest polyp is only about the size of a lentil.

Thanks Yote!

They may be some sort of paly, but I think they are too small. The largest polyp is only about the size of a lentil.

Thanks Yote!

Please use something that everyone knows the size of biff... especially use non-vegitarians. I have no clue how big a lentil is :mrgreen: Size of a dime? :dunno:

Well these are stumping people on several sites. I've received answers ranging from anemones to mushrooms to brain corals to palys to zoas. So basically, everything except fish!! :p

I've decided to escalate the case to the experts at Wet Web Media. Let's hope I get an answer from them!

Back