Strange Polyp Needs ID

Oh man. That is what I call my red velvet algae. It's soft and fuzzy, like velvet. I still can't find any definitive answers on what it actually is. Yote has said that it's a type of algae that grows in low-nutrient systems. My LFS believes it's actually a type of coralline. What I know is that it is covering every single rock in my tank, and that corals have a hard time "gripping" it and growing on top of it. It's not ugly, and it doesn't seem to be a "pest", but it does make placement of my corals pretty difficult. Superglue and epoxy won't stick to it either.

From the pic it actually looked nice and velvety - hence me asking; I thought it was some sort of coral butit doesn't look nice - even if it is a pest.

Was it affected at all by the overdose?

Yes! It took off like crazy after the overdose. Before it was only on a couple of the lower rocks. Now it's on every square inch of every single one of them.

Well these are stumping people on several sites. I've received answers ranging from anemones to mushrooms to brain corals to palys to zoas. So basically, everything except fish!! :p

I've decided to escalate the case to the experts at Wet Web Media. Let's hope I get an answer from them!

Definantly some sort of porpous :mrgreen:

Actually, I was thinking some sort of blasto?

I got an answer from Wet Web Media! Those guys are fast. The legendary Bob Fenner said he was not sure! But his guess is "some kind of zoanthid". Haha! Even the expert is stumped.

Back