Stupid Clown -__-

laura-jean

friend to the fish
Good News: my clowns get along now. YAY!

Bad News: My girl clown is trying to HOST the LR and has ended up with little black/brown marks all over her body. :( Called the LFS, they said that clowns are just dumb and to come in and get a coral she can host.

Very annoyed with this.

What are some good corals for clowns to host that won't be irritated by her?
OH and I have just like regular fresh-water fish tank lid lights, so it's gotta be a soft coral.
I also have a filter for flow but nothing else.

Thanks guys!

PS: This might be more of a coral-related thread, so if it gets moved that makes sense. :)

Last edited:
clowns are silly like that, mine have a few different types of corals to host and they always pick the powerhead... i;ve found a few clowns dead on them because of it....

they still may not host to your coral, try doing what i did and get a fake plastic one! LOL. my black clown LOVED it, when i tried taking it out he started hosting the PH again.... good luck with your lil dudes!

I imagine if she's trying to host the ROCK the dumb thing will probably host a coral.
I'll look for those at the LFS. Going now, wish me luck :P

I'll get a fake one if this doesn't work. That's a great idea!

LOL at hosting the powerhead. hahaha.

Nah, she's should be totally fine. All my levels are perfect, and she's certainly a very active fish. I've seen her doing it. There's a little dip in the LR that she was just sort of hanging out in. No scratchin. She's not doing it now... Maybe she realized it was painful.

Clowns are called clowns for a reason.Their stupid:D But its fun to see what kind of stuff they get themselves into.
With your lights,I'd try the fake anemone first.Then if that dont work,spring for some better lights and try the easier corals like mushrooms and maybe even xenia.

Congrats on the coral! Clowns host anything so it probably will host it but I do not know if it will hurt the coral though. My clown hosts a rock that has hair algae.

Bubble corals are LPS (not soft corals), so your lights will not be enough to keep that coral happy. Also, they are pretty sensitive to things, and a clown hosting them would probably hurt it. Most LPS corals do not do well if they have a clown in them, because the clowns beat them up and keep them closed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is probably one of the last types of corals I would have recommended for someone without good lighting and for a clown to host.

yea, sadly biff is right :( clowns tear bubbles to pieces, i had a nice small little head of those that my guys tried to host and ended up killing :( you might wanna see if they will let you get something different, like a leather, or mushrooms....

Everything I've read said low lights. Clown is still hosting rock. Going to try to get a frogspawn or a flower pot. My bubble is pretty though :)

My clowns are tiny...if they do end up trying to host the bubble, will they still hurt it?
They're about an inch long.

A flower pot coral (goniopora) is a very bad idea. They are extremely difficult to keep alive in captivity. Some stores won't even sell them. They are considered as "expert only" corals. Your clown will easily kill a goni. They are super sensitive and most people think they are an animal that should be left in the ocean, as no one has quite figured out how to keep them alive in our tanks.

The freshwater strip light you have is lower than "low" light. That is why you need to stick to soft corals -- mushrooms, zoanthids and leathers. All the corals you are talking about are LPS corals which need moderate lighting, but again, the stock fluorescent light that comes with your tank is not even considered "low" for reef keeping.

Everyone here recommended some good soft corals. No one recommended LPS corals for that reason. If you are going to start buying LPS corals, then you need to buy a light that can support them.

Everything I've read said low lights.

Except the very link you just posted, which says they require medium light. These corals (LPS) need moderate light.

You can believe us or not. But why when you ask a question, everyone tells you to stick with softies because you have insufficient light for everything else, then you appear to only be interested in LPS? It's not like we're lying to you for some reason.

Last edited:
It's not the bulbs. It's the light fixture itself, and the type of bulbs. You can change out all the bulbs you want, but that won't make any more light come from it. Regular fluorescent hoods come with normal output fluorescent light bulbs (NO). In saltwater, we use high output fluorescent bulbs (HO). High output bulbs are a different shape and size and won't fit into a regular fluorescent hood. You will need to buy a whole new light fixture if you want to keep LPS corals.

Laura, if you have a petco around you may be able to get one of these:

Coralife 20 Inch Aqualight With 4-Tube (Quad) Lamp- Square Pin Base

i bought mine (which is really similar, but a bit higher up on their chain) for $150 at a expensive towns LFS (stupid lol) and found the same thing at petco for $80. i have one and I LOVE it :) my corals seem to like it too... :) thats probably one good way to go if you're gonna be keeping anything more than mushies and zoas.

Last edited:
Back