Substrate Cleaning

kwsm

Reefing newb
For my FW tanks in the past I've always used siphon vacuums like these (though the one I have now is larger).
undergravel-filter-30.jpg

For the aragonite sand however, it BLOWS. The suction just doesn't seem to be good enough to get anything OUT of the tank.

Is there a trick I'm missing? I'd still like to be able to get the crap off the top of the sand without disturbing the bed itself.

Do you have nassarius snails and starfish? Those are better to rely on than manual siphoning of the sandbed. You can also hook up a cheap powerhead (like a Maxijet) to two pieces of tubing -- one on each end -- and suck water out that way.

Just got a brittle star about a week or so ago. And for some reason, NONE of the LFS around here ever have nassarius snails. Other than ordering online (and I'm just always iffy about buying something I can't see first), I just keep asking if they have any and hope they'll get the hint. Everyone and their mother has a thousand hermits but NO snails?

Ugh. It's irritating haha.

Also the starfish took a few days to even move and I can't see a noticeable difference even in the spot he was staying for a while (he's moved a bit now and there's no disintegration so I assumed he was ok). Mondays are PWC days so I wanted to try to clean it up a bit more.

Just order the nassarius snails online. CUCs are probably the best thing you can order online -- they ship well and they are easily identifiable! There are lots of good sites to order a CUC from --
Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation
Saltwater Fish | Buy Saltwater Fish | Exotic Salt Water Fish - Reef Hot Spot
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums (has free shipping on CUCs above a certain amount), etc.

I've always had to order my CUC online because like your LFS, mine never has any shrimp, stars or snails. I've always had good luck getting my CUC online.

Took us over a month to actually find a brittle star too. And the LFS said they got it by accident...

I've also heard alot of good things about this site ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Custom Clean Up Crews
You can tell them how big your tank is and what you're looking for in a cleaning crew and they'll custom make one or, you can tell them what your budget is and they'll make a crew for that

Everyone says that they're awesome. However in the past couple months, I've emailed them twice and I never heard back. Checked junk filter and everything.

Actually, a couple more questions completely unrelated to cleaning the sand.

For fish that have a tendency to jump, how tight does the lid have to be? I have eggcrate fit on there now but a few of the fish we want like to jump. I assume if it can fit through the grid in the eggcrate, then it will jump right through it. Do glass lids inhibit gas exchange?

and are there any other angelfish options for a 55g long besides coral beauties? I see so much variation between sites on what size tank dwarf angels can be housed in.

Though at this point, I kind of feel like we might be pushing it with all the "with caution" in a reef tank...

If a fish can fit through the egg crate then your right it may still jump out. Many have lost their fish this way. And a glass top will indeed inhibit gas exchange and shouldn't be used. Because of this there are limitations on some fish. As for Dwarf Angelfish, I would say you have a 50/50 chance that they will end up picking at your corals. They are smaller and don't do as fast of damage, but can destroy a zoo colony in 2-3 days.

My Bannerfish seems to like the Zoos too. And from what I've read, if they're going to eat corals, that's what they like. So I figure if he decides to chow on them, fine. We just won't keep those corals anymore. :P

There are plenty prettier corals out there anyway.

So keeping tank health in mind, how would you negotiate a fish with a tendency to jump? Pass it altogether and keep with the eggcrate? Only buy larger fish? Pray you get lucky?

2 out of the 4 fish we have now come with the "with caution" warning. The boyfriend wants an angel, I'm wondering how many more "with caution" fish we can get before our luck runs out. >_>

hahaha I say, dont worry too much about the with caution. Just do your research on the fish and its ok. I put a flame angel in my tank and he has a 50% chance of eating corals, except I keep him well fed and there is lots of natural food in the tank so he doesnt pick at my corals. There are some fish which can be non reef compatible.

In the end, do what I did, get a list of a few fish your interested in, with there full names and post them in the fish section, people here will tell you some tales. But a great dwarf angel is definitely a flame angel, I love mine :D

and depends, clowns come with a jumping label too, but if you keep them happy in the tank, they dont even consider it. both of mine are great and there also maroon clowns which are meant to fight a lot. Just all depends what that specific fishes tendancies are, and what they are like in the tank at your LFS.

Back