Suggestions?

I think if you could keep them around 10, then some mushrooms and leather would do great in your tank, and they are not likely to be eaten.

Would I have any trouble having a blue jaw triggerfish with a brittle star and would I have any trouble with the star eating any invertebrates?

I think the trigger needs a bigger tank than the one you have.
The brittle star, however, is reef safe. Just don't plan on seeing it a whole lot.

I think the trigger needs a bigger tank than the one you have.

Really? I saw a video of a 75 gallon reef tank (with coral) that had a blue jaw triggerfish, a yellow tang, a hippo tang, and a few other fish. I don't exactly understand how big this kind of triggerfish is supposed to get. On the fresh marine web site It says in the information thing that their maximum size is 8.7 inches but in the description it says they can get up to 14 inches. Is that only in the wild? It also says on the information thing that the minimum tank size is 75 gallons. From my thread on the fish section of the forum no one said that 100 gallons would be too small...

Blue Throat Triggerfish

Live aquaria say 125... and that's the site I go by.
Just because you see a video of someone keeping fish they shouldn't keep doesn't make it okay. You don't know what happened to those fish down the road.
Perhaps more important than the gallons are the dimensions of your tank.
It is important to remember with saltwater that the recommended tank size is usually not related to how big the fish get, but how much swimming room they need. Even a small trigger (or tang) needs a lot of swimming room. Putting one in a tank that is too small will cause stress and aggression.

+1 Erin

You have no idea how long his fish have lived in that tank, and i would highly suspect that he goes through a lot of fish dying from stress. But he has no idea that he is cause of the their deaths, and just goes out and buys another one.

Well that's discouraging... Look at this:

liveaquaria said:
A 70 gallon or larger aquarium with rocks and caves provides a good environment.

There's quite a difference between 70 and 125 gallons. The dimensions on my tank are: 6' long, 1'6" wide, and 2' tall.

Last edited:
Remember, a lfs, even the online ones, exist to sell you stuff. Live aquaria is pretty good about the requirements, but on some of the more popular fish, i know some of their recommendations are incorrect because they want to sell more of that product.

We are not here to sell you anything, we dont want to see you dump thousands of dollars on your tank to watch it fail because of bad recommendations. The advice we have to give, is the best we have for each situation. We want to see your fish and coral thrive.

Back