sump pump

so waqt ur sayin is that i need an overflows my tankor it will overflow. then why dont i just use pumps. using 2 pumps seems like it would be a hell of a lot eaer then having overflows. like if i did siphone it how can i tell how fast the water is going(GPH)and what size pumps would i need to return it

kool drawing its close to wat i was thinkin but how do i find out how fast it coming out and how do i find out the right size pump

Have you thought about having the tank drilled? The easiest way to set up a undrilled tank is by using a overflow box. Is there a reason why you don't want to use one?

The overflow is how water gets from the display to the sump. Its either a hole drilled in your tank or a u tube connected to a box that uses gravity and suction to transfer the water. If you want a sump you need an overflow.

i cant get the tank drilled becauze its tamperd or somthing. i dont want to use an overflow really cuz in not too sure how to intall or use one and they dont have them at the LFS. and i dont want to have to got though the trouble odering it from the store and in dont have a creit card to buy things online

but i think i mite actully go with the over flows. i think im goin to go to the bank and apply for a creit card so i can oder things online. i was looking at one from marine depot it was like the CPR CS 102 overflowbox. i kinda understand them now that i seen the pic but if i used that how big of a return pump would i neef like 1200gph

I think the CPR overflow that can handle 1200gph would be a good choice. A Eheim 1260 internal pump would be a good pump to use as a return. Eheims are fairly energy efficient, don't transfer much heat and are dependable.

You need to buy an overflow box. Having two pumps may sound like it'll work, but you will eventually have a flood. The amount of water that a pump moves does not stay constant, little particles and debris get stuck in the pump, etc. Not to mention, the return pump is working against gravity, which reduces flow. Unless your two pumps are perfectly synchronized at all times, you will either have a flood in the display tank or a flood in the sump. It will be impossible to perfectly synchronize the two pumps.

You need to buy an overflow box. It is super easy to plumb a sump with an overflow box -- I did it in my old 55 gallon tank. An overflow box pulls water over the side of your tank and down into the sump. It can only pull water as fast as the return pump returns it, so you don't need to worry about synchronizing the flow of the two devices.

i cant get the tank drilled becauze its tamperd or somthing. i dont want to use an overflow really cuz in not too sure how to intall or use one and they dont have them at the LFS. and i dont want to have to got though the trouble odering it from the store and in dont have a creit card to buy things online
:bounce: Only your bottom glass should be tempered, if you have a rectangular tank. You can have your back wall drilled and either add a Calfo overflow, use a glass-holes over flow (my favorite), or go ghetto and use 90 degree fittings or some sort of improvised inlet screens etc. Hang on bachk siphons are not bad as long as you learn a few tricks to remove air from there tubing and to restart them if they lose their siphon. Ultimately they are inferior to a through the back wall system and often cost more because you should have two for adequate flow and redundancy, same as you should always have at least two bulkhead holes in those systems for redundancy (in case one gets clogged the other ones is a back up). I, my self, would use twin over the back siphon flows before I used a Reef Ready with double top to bottom towers. Under engineered, overpriced an space robbing. It is strange people will complain about the space taken up by a deep sand bed while still buy poorly engineered Reef Ready tanks with huge space wasting over flow towers. :^:

Back