Sump

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I have a chance to pick up a ProClear wet dry 200 for basically nothing. Here it is: Wet Dry (scroll down to the 200 model)

I'm told this is plenty for my 75 gallon. What I need to know is one, I'm told I need to get an overflow box since my tank is not drilled. Recommendations for one? Two, I need to get a pump to deliver water back to the tank. How strong of a pump do I need? I should be able to relocate my skimmer to this sump (it's a HoB model)?

I would look at one of the overflows here: Lifereef Filter Systems As far as a return pump, what ever your overflow is rated you should get a return pump that is about 100-150 gph higher. Relocating your skimmer could be difficult, I've got a hob skimmer too and if I wanted to use it I would have have to raise my sump up off the ground as the skimmer was too tall to sit directly on the ground.

Ok, here is what I got:

Pro Clear Wet/Dry 200 which is rated for up to 200 gallons and supposed to flow up to 600 gph.
IMG_0321.jpg

Now I was told and read that if I was going for a reef, I should lose the bioballs and replace with live rock and cheato? True? If I can't have my skimmer in that big main section to the right, what can I put in there aside from the return pump? Nothing? I'd really like to get my skimmer off the side of my tank but if that isn't possible, I'll have to live with that ;(

What is the recommended flow rate on an overflow box should I have for a 75 gallon tank? And whatever that is, go 100 or so higher for my return pump size?

Last edited:
Just want to bump this. What is the recommended flow rate on an overflow box should I have for a 75 gallon tank? And whatever that is, go 100 or so higher for my return pump size??

If you dont clean them regularly, they get full of gunk that decays and releases nitrates back into the water column. You need to clean a large chunk of them about once a week.

A great idea in theory, but not so great in reality.

you dont need to, i just suck out that area during my WC (you dont even need to do this). other people do though. Personal choice really

Clancaster and Alex...you guys should give the thread 'Mega-nitrate, phosphate remover' thread in the DIY section of this website a look. Long read, but very good info!

Back