supplemental leds for 40 breeder...

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
I have a 40 breeder frag tank, the light fixture im using is an ecoray 60d. its hanging about 2 and a half feet above my tank. I love this fixture, I have 2 other ones on 2 other tanks. all my corals are doing well and grow nicely, but I wanna add some purple supplemental lighting. so what im thinking is an led strip thatll hang right in front of my ecoray fixture. I was thinking about going with rapid leds but im not good at putting stuff like that together. I also remembered fin-sanity builds diy fixtures for pretty cheap but ive never really known anyone that went through them.
also...I don't even know how many bulbs I need and how many watts I should go for?
I would also like to do maybe mostly purple and like 2 or 3 green bulbs.
can someone point me in the right direction? and oh yeah...im on a budget.

Im not sure what you mean, but they offer a bunch of different light spectrums for hundreds of applications. Im running a 48inch royal blue 453nm for my night light and works great. They will show your colors of your corals. I wouldnt use them as independant light source but as an add on

If I remember right, the Ecoray has mostly white and blue LED's correct? If that is the case, and color rendition is what you're after, you're going to want to look into UV and Cyan LEDs. Rapid LED offers sodder-less LED's. If you choose one of the pre-tapped heat sinks it should be pretty easy

A heat sink like this Heatsinks - 1.4" Width - Black Anodized - Drilled/Tapped - Rapid LED would be perfect for what you're wanting to do- and they now have sodderless UV and Cyan LED's available

Back