Supply List

The second one down for $135 is a great start for a RODI. It only produces 75 gallons per day, but since you have a small tank, you don't need mega GPD production.

RO/DI Systems

Add one of these adapters, depending on whether it's a kitchen, washroom/garden faucet, and you can hook it up in seconds without having to worry about piercing your plumbing. (important if you're renting).
Tap Water Fittings

I also recommend the TDS meter, the membrane flush kit, and pressure gauge as well, but you can add these later.

RO/DI Add-Ons

Those instructions are mostly right, but I don't know anyone who takes any of their equipment out ('pumps, hoses, attachments') and washes them with each water change. I also wouldn't mix your saltwater during the water change, but do it the night before.

You want to stay as consistent as possible. So if you have a day off each week, that's perfect.

Typically, you'll come home from your last day of work, and start mixing saltwater.

:):):):):):):)

MIXING SALTWATER:

1) Buy 5 gallons distilled water from store, bring it home. Pour into bucket.

If you have a RODI: put end of RODI line into bucket, waste line (into washing machine or other drain), wait up to two hours til 5 gallons of RODI water is made, depending on how much GPD your unit makes. (check often, you don't want a flood).

2) After bucket is filled, add cheap powerhead (maxijet recommended) and heater, and plug them in. Measure out salt, pour it slowly into the current. Lay a lid on top, and forget about it for several hours. Perhaps overnight.

3) Next day, after 12 to 24 hours: Check salinity with refractometer, you're looking for 1.024 to 1.026. Check temperature and make sure it's within range. If both of those are good, you're ready to do a water change.

WATER CHANGE:

1) Top off any evaporation with freshwater in tank. If it's a large amount, wait a bit for water to 'mix', and check salinity. Make sure it's within the range of the bucket and vice versa.

2) Even though you may have used a magfloat throughout the week, some stuff may still stick to your glass, or coralline might be growing where you don't want it to. Magfloat the loose stuff, then get in there with a razor blade (glass tanks only!) and scrape off any coralline or stubborn algae. Be gentle, never 'run' the razor along it's edge. You're essentially shaving the tank like you would your face, you're scraping. You would never run the razor down your face would you? Once front glass is clean, determine if you want to do the sides, or even back. If you don't mind how they look, skip them. I recommend at least magfloating them to remove algae, but you may like the coralline that's growing there. Wipe off any dust or salt creep. If your lights have a plastic or glass cover and it's dirty, remove the light and wipe it down. Otherwise, leave alone. Time for the actual water change.

3) A switch from american DJ Amazon.com: American DJ PC-100A 8 Channel Power Strip with Lighted Toggles: Musical Instruments will make shutting things off very easy. I forgot who recommend these but it's much better than having to unplug things. Shut off any pumps, powerheads, and skimmer, if they'll be above the water line (ie sucking air) when the 5 gallons are removed.

If you have a sump, shut off the return pump. Wait til water drains and levels in sump equalize. Turn off any powerheads above the expected water line. Heater and skimmer can remain on since they'll be in the sump filled with water.

4) Once things are shut down, grab an empty bucket and your siphon or 'gravel cleaner'. Put the hose into the bucket and make sure it doesn't fall out as your starting the siphon. If you have the right kind of siphon, starting a siphon will only take seconds.

5) Siphon water from tank, make sure you don't suck up any animals. If there is lose material on the sand, suck it up, but be careful not to disturb the sand too much. Suck up anything you may have knocked off the glass, or any obvious particles drifting in the water. Fill up bucket, stop siphon. Done.

6) Unplug heater and powerhead and remove from your freshly made saltwater in bucket. You can either scoop the new water with a jug and slowly pour it into the main tank, or you can attach a hose to the powerhead and pump it back in. A small powerhead will not be strong enough for this, so you'll probably have to use a jug or large cup.

7) Turn everything on. Check fish/coral reaction. After a couple of hours, check salinity to make sure it's where it needs to be. Enjoy tank.

:):):):):):):)

It reads more complicated than it actually is, but it's super easy after the first time. Then you can read it like this:

1) Top off any evaporation in main tank.
2) Mix saltwater.
3) Wait 12 to 24 hours, check temp and salinity.
4) Clean glass. Scrub what you need to.
5) Shutoff equipment.
6) Siphon water from tank. Replace with new saltwater.
7) Turn on equipment. Make sure powerheads start. (koralias are known to get 'stuck', and may need to be knocked or poked til they spin).
8) Enjoy. Check salinity and temp after few hours to make sure everything is well.
9) Forget about water change til next week.

Daily maintenance is just feeding your fish, magfloating the glass if you need to, and topping off any excess evaporation. Keeping up with evaporation will be one of your biggest challenges, hence the reason why you want a good RODI unit on hand, to make and STORE water. A lot of us have 32 gallon brute trash cans filled with freshwater to keep on hand, for evaporation, or emergency water changes. Having a source of clean water at all times is crucial.

Yes, you CAN do everything with tap water. Some people here use tap water, and if you live in a clean area, it might be OK. But most tap water often has contaminants such as silicates, phosphates and metals. If you have copper piping in your house, copper is FATAL to inverts, and you don't want to expose them. Any copper that gets into your tank will make a permanent residence in your rock and sand. If you want to keep anemones, corals, and inverts, it's best to ignore tap water altogether and invest in an RODI unit. This is healthier for your fish as well.

Sorry, I know it's a lot to read, but it won't seem as complicated once you do it the first time. Don't be put off by it, it really isn't a lot of work.
Thats some great info. Thanks for taking the time to type all of that.

You can use Tap, but i as many others reccomend rodi, and im pretty sure distilled, is the only other option than tap, it will save you alot of problems in the long run.

You can use Tap, but i as many others reccomend rodi, and im pretty sure distilled, is the only other option than tap, it will save you alot of problems in the long run.

Do we have to buy a $100-$200 RODI, or can we get a smaller one for $50 or so?

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, purewaterclub is a legit and sells good stuff.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I honestly don't know what the differences are between membranes, or what makes an expensive RODI unit better than a cheaper one. But for $60 I guess there isn't much to lose. I would certainly take it over tap water or having to haul distilled water every day.

If I recall correctly, purewaterclub is a legit and sells good stuff.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I honestly don't know what the differences are between membranes, or what makes an expensive RODI unit better than a cheaper one. But for $60 I guess there isn't much to lose. I would certainly take it over tap water or having to haul distilled water every day.

That gives me a relief.. I thought we were going to have to spend $100+ on just an RO/DI! :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUW]Amazon.com: AquaClear 70 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 70 Carbon, AquaClear 70 Foam & AquaClear 70 BioMax: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Is this a good filter for our 29gal tank? We'll be having live rock, live sand & some coral.

What are some good filters that aren't over $100? Thanks! Oh, tell me name brands.. that would be alot of help. :D

little_fish already said it. Those filters are great for freshwater but not for saltwater.

Sorry I didn't notice that... but no one has actually told me any filter to get. I know I can't just have powerheads and a skimmer.. there has to be some filteration

Last edited:
All those filters do is remove physical particles from the water, just like a skimmer. However, a skimmer removes them completely from the water, while filters like that allow water to pass through, allowing the bacteria to break the particles down. Those particles are broken down into nitrates. In a planted fish tank, this is ok, because a lot of the nitrates are picked up by plants. In a reef aquarium, there are (preferably) no plants in the display tank. This is why reef aquariums often have refugiums. (A place to hold plants out of the display tank, but part of your ecosystem, to help with nitrate export).

Since there are usually no plants in a reef tank, those nitrates are quickly picked up by algae, since there's no other plants to compete with it. BAM, algae explosion. Soon comes cyano and dinos.

This is why water changes are necessary, to export these nitrates and other contaminants, because there are few things in a reef tank to get rid of them. There is plenty of algae and plants to take care of it in the ocean, but we don't want those in our tanks. Skimmers help remove the physical particles before they become nitrates, and nothing more.

While the filter you linked removes physical particles from the water, the materials they catch are broken down from ammonia into nitrates IN THE WATER COLUMN, and not removed. Filters like it, and canister filters, are often called nitrate factories because of this.

This is also the whole point into cycling your tank.

This is the cycle:
Fish food and waste, becomes
Ammonia (most toxic) becomes
Nitrite (less toxic) becomes
Nitrate (even less toxic). This is usually the end product, and must be removed from your aquarium through water changes or by some other export. (plants, or water changes).

Neglected, nitrate build up will become toxic to your livestock.

We say that live rock is your filter, because when food and fish waste breaks down into ammonia, that ammonia is converted quickly into nitrite, and then nitrate, by the bacteria on the rock. However, the bacteria stop there, and those nitrates must be removed. That's why we have said that live rock and water changes are going to be your primary means of filtration. Live rock is basically like a HOB filter like in your link. They break everything down, but don't remove the end product. A HOB filter is redundant, and just allows a place for waste to collect.

Everything in this hobby is about the water quality. Too much nitrates and phosphates = algae and other problems. Everything you do in this hobby is all about prevention. This is why we push RODI filters so much. Tap water often has phosphates and nitrates, which makes your job of keeping the tank the way you want it just that much harder. Not to mention chlorinates, fluoride, copper, etc.

Ammonia is the most deadly, and live rock takes care of it. Nitrate is the least deadly, but left neglected it can kill your livestock and corals. Weekly water changes take care of it.

Last edited:
In all honesty, this is probably the BEST and less costly means of filtration, and is easy to do if you have some DIY skills. It does everything a skimmer and water change does.

You must read the thread carefully, however, and weekly maintenance is MANDATORY.

https://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html

This is the most up-to-date and condenses all the important things about a scrubber into one thread:

https://www.livingreefs.com/build-algae-scrubber-t32422.html

Last edited:
Zissou - Hey thanks.. I hope you didn't have to type all of that out lol!

So, what I'm getting is.. live rock, skimmer & we'll have 2 hydro koralia 550 powerheads & weekly water changes. We'll also be buying a RO/DI. I hope this covers all the filtration that we need.

Basically, we're just trying to prevent your tank from looking like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKrq_1xc-M]Green Hair Algae Removal From a Saltwater Reef Aquarium - YouTube[/ame]

If you do not fix or prevent the SOURCE of your problem (excess nitrates and phosphates) this is what can happen.

Even though you can remove it like he does in the video, either physically or with chemicals (chemicals are band aids), he's only fixing a symptom. The algae WILL grow back unless he gets his water in check, and that may take weeks or months to solve.

You will never have an 100% algae free tank, but you can have one that's 95% mostly free of it. :mrgreen:

Basically, we're just trying to prevent your tank from looking like this:

Green Hair Algae Removal From a Saltwater Reef Aquarium - YouTube

If you do not fix or prevent the SOURCE of your problem (excess nitrates and phosphates) this is what can happen.

Even though you can remove it like he does in the video, either physically or with chemicals (chemicals are band aids), he's only fixing a symptom. The algae WILL grow back unless he gets his water in check, and that may take weeks or months to solve.

You will never have an 100% algae free tank, but you can have one that's 95% mostly free of it. :mrgreen:

OMG.. that's horrible and very gross. We're gonna do what I just said and hopefully we won't have anything even remotely close to that :pooh:!

Zissou - Hey thanks.. I hope you didn't have to type all of that out lol!

So, what I'm getting is.. live rock, skimmer & we'll have 2 hydro koralia 550 powerheads & weekly water changes. We'll also be buying a RO/DI. I hope this covers all the filtration that we need.

Yes, live rock, skimmer, water flow, rodi and water changes will cover 90% of your needs. No overfeeding, and real fish food (the frozen stuff, not flake) are also preventative steps you should take.

When you advance more into the hobby, you may become interested in phosphate removal media (ferric oxide) and carbon (absorbs contaminants). But those are entire threads by themselves, and of little concern where you are at this point in this hobby.

Honestly, just get your water source and main equipment take care of, and you're mostly there. Be patient, don't worry about what you're going to put in it yet (the live rock you get will most likely have worms and all sorts of tiny things to keep your interest, and if you don't see any, trust me, they ARE there, :D) and just think about that first fish. It may all seem complicated, but everything we've written out for you has take some of us YEARS to figure out. You've essentially enrolled in a crash course. :mrgreen:

Many of us have had beautiful algae farms. :mrgreen:

Essentially, the philosophy ALL reef boards have in common is the prevention of ammonia, nitrate and phosphate. You're keeping water, not fish. If you keep the water quality at its best, everything else will be just fine. (aside from pests, bug infections, parasites, contamination from lack of proper coral and fish quarantine, silly kids who dump too much fish food in the tank, too much or too little salt, too much freshwater, power outages, equipment failure, etc. HA!)

Last edited:
Zissou - Thanks so much.. that's really reassuring. Everyone has helped SO much and I still may have a question every now and then. But, for the most part I think I got it figured out.. atleast the setup and the cycling.

I have a list of everything that we need including the prices and websites. We also have a great saltwater store.. dedicated 100% to saltwater aquariums.

We also have our first fish picked out! We're getting a pair of clownfish.. Nemos!

Last edited:
Back