T-5 Reflectors

waynestuck

Reefing newb
Hi,

I am new to the boards and reefing and have a question regarding T-5 reflectors. I have started a 40 gallon reef tank (using a breeder tank) that has a lower profile. I purchased a Nova Extreme T-5 lighting setup (2-10,000 K HO fluorescent bulbs, 2-460 nm actinic blue bulbs, and 3 LED nightlights). The literature included with the lighting says that a parabolic reflector is part of the setup.

My question is:

Should I purchase separate reflectors for each bulb and will the reflectors fit in the Nova Extreme housing?

I have noticed several places advertising T-5 reflectors and was wondering if I should invest in them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

The setup comes with a reflector built in, but if you buy individual IceCap reflectors for each bulb it will increase the amount of light in your tank, and they should fit. I'm planning on buying some for my T5s soon. I think Yote has reflectors on his, he has the same lights I do. Yote?

I put in 4 Icecap individual reflectors on my Nova 48" (8x54w)fixture...will put in the rest when I have more money.

Some reflectors may not fit on your fixture so call to make sure.The Icecaps fit though.

For what I want to keep I'm not certain that I needed them(18" deep to the sandbed),since I'm new to T-5 lighting just wanted to be sure.

Last edited:
Yeah Biff?
I bought the 432 watt 4x 10k and 4x act.
I made me a set of reflectors at the shop out of mirror finish stainless.The pre-built reflectors wouldnt fit with the 8 bulbs.
I cant really tell any difference with or without my reflectors except there seems to be a little heat between the fixture and the water.

PS
If your going to use the moon lights,you'll want to make sure the center reflectors do cover them up.

reeffreak said:
I put in 4 Icecap individual reflectors on my Nova 48" (8x54w)fixture...will put in the rest when I have more money.

Some reflectors may not fit on your fixture so call to make sure.The Icecaps fit though.

For what I want to keep I'm not certain that I needed them(18" deep to the sandbed),since I'm new to T-5 lighting just wanted to be sure.

hmmmm,,I never thought about the icecaps

Its tight Yote but they do fit.I'm not much of a DIYer like you.I don't have them over the lunar lights but it looks like it will cut out some of the light(lunar) since there's barely a gap between bulbs.

Hey Yote,Biff how are you liking your lights?I was feeling that it kinda gives off a little to much white light and not enough blue.What are your thoughts on that?Have you thought about switching some of the bulbs?

Last edited:
I Love mine so far.But like you said theres more white light than blue.
I cant wait untill my cycles done so I can see how some fish and corals look under em.
I decided I could build some reflectors cheeper that I could buy them.And since we had the metal at the shop and I had some free time,,,I went that way.

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. I apologize for the delay in posting, I had a family emergency and had to go back to PA. I'm going to try the reflectors just on the fluorescent bulbs to see how they work. I'm not sure if I need to or should put them on the actinic bulbs.

Have a great day,
Wayne

Update and FYI:

the Icecap reflectors do not fit inside(side by side)Nova Fixture.I think they are mainly for retro setups.I will be searching for what does fit inside,if any.

Sorry for any misinformation to all
Thanks,
Dominick

Heres a tip on T-5 reflectors.
Go to your local hardware store and get some of the thin termite shield that you'd use between the foundation and bottom seal of a house,also some steel wool.
Cut the termite shield to the length to fit your bulbs. Then cut those pieces into 3 inch strips(remember T-5s are only 5/8" round).After you cut it,take the steel wool and polish the metal untill it has a bright finish to it( very easy ).Once you have it polished just use a broom handle and roll the metal around it. You'll want 1/2 to 3/4" of metal sticking out on each side of the bulb.
You can't use clips to mount these to the bulbs but you can lay them along the length of the bulbs.
Inexpensive and easy DIY project.

I have a question about your termite shield Yote. I to have the Nova Extreme 8x54 T5 and am on the lookout to improve the output from its single reflector.

The reflectors you suggest making would come out in the shape of a U no? My question is, is this really better then the single reflector the Nova comes with? Is there a way for the average joe to test which is better?

What I’m getting as is...I know nothing about reflectors and the last thing I want to do is make a reflector that is somehow even worse then the reflector in the Nova. I would hope that the people making individual reflectors for the T5 like IceCap did their homework and came up with a shape and size reflector that would get the most out of the bulbs. That is not always the case though, or we would not have just one large reflector in our Nova Extreme's. :frustrat:

Last edited:
I really dont know of any way to test if they help or not markus without buying a lux meter.But the way im thinking ,all were trying to do is reflect more light back down into our tanks where its needed.
And to be perfectly honest,I took the ones I made out of mirror finished stainless out of my light,and I cant tell any difference. I had read on another forum that with T-5s if didnt have the individual reflectors that they were nothing more than PCs .So I thought Id try building a set myself to save some expense to expermint with.
If you look at the MFGed feflectors,there basicaly a U shape.If you look at the one in your light its just a big U that covers all the bulbs.They all do the same thing.Personaly I think that the Ice Caps and other brands are just a way to get your money.

OH yeah,,I really dont know anything about relectors either except what there supposed do.But sometimes when I read something that MIGHT be good,,I try to build something myself that MIGHT work:mrgreen:

yote said:
OH yeah,,I really dont know anything about relectors either except what there supposed do.But sometimes when I read something that MIGHT be good,,I try to build something myself that MIGHT work:mrgreen:

I totally respect this...this is how great discoveries are made :D The reason i questioned the U shape is because reflectors usually have a bend in them....so that got me thinking :scratchch is there a secret formula for the exact angle and placement of the bend with T5 bulbs?

And when you said you didn't notice a difference that's exactly what i mean....even if we had the absolute best reflector in the world to compare ours to...would we even notice a difference with our eyes? I think the same would apply if a reflector adversely effected our lights, we probably wouldn't notice with our eyes. Anyone willing to shell out some dough for a lux meter and get some readings for us? :beerchug:

Last edited:
Hmmm I can see if I can bring one home from the lab I work in. I'm not sure but I figure we'd have one of those... I'd be curious to see too since I just ordered reflectors for my T5s.

Bifferwine said:
Hmmm I can see if I can bring one home from the lab I work in. I'm not sure but I figure we'd have one of those... I'd be curious to see too since I just ordered reflectors for my T5s.

There ya go Biff. Lets put that Phd you to work.:compute:

Back