T5s why not?

Jmarcus

Reefing newb
I am planing on buying lights for a 30 gallon in the near future. I was leaning toward an aqualife 150watt metal hilide, 130 watt cf, moon light combo. I have heard some good things about the T5s and I am thinking why not? What are the pros and cons? This is my first saltwater tank and I plan on having a reef as close to natural as I can, not sure what I want, just want it all. Any suggestions? :Cheers:

I dont really know if there are any cons but they give off very little heat compared to MH's, i know they help with coral growth other than that im not sure but im sure theres more to them than that.
i am running 2x420nm T5's and 2x460nm T5's (nm=nano meters, which is the wave length of the light output and refers to the color spectrum, corals require certain colors of light for health and to premote growth) i like my T5's so far but my tank has only been up for 20 days. I am also running 2x250w MH 10k's and lunar lights built into the fixture.

The only con to T5 is that they don't penetrate the water as good as hallides.So for deep tanks I would stick with MH's.If you get T5's I would get a fixture with individual reflectors,those help penetrate deeper tanks(18''+ to the sandbed).It also depends on alot of what you are wanting to keep but as long as the tank isn't too deep T5 will allow you to keep almost anything.

the pros are they run cooler,super efficient,saves electricity(most cases),bulbs last longer.

I'm running T5 on my 75gal.(432w)....I know that I can keep all softies and LPS corals.I trying some SPS now so far they are doing well.I don't have the dimensions on your 30 but T5 seems like the way to go.

Im running 432 watts of T-5s on my 55.Like Newb and Reef already said,they run cooler.I got one little frag of SPS in there along with a small clam.Also got some hammer and candycane with buttons and zoas.About forgot my bubble tip anemone.
They all seem to be doing great,there all growing and look good.

first initial setup of buddies tank with t5's

mikestankinjan2006.jpg

one year later, couple of different pics for ya i think t5's get better penetration cheaper on electric and bulb replacement.
CIMG0483.jpg

CIMG0481.jpg

CIMG0479.jpg

the only other thing that helps this tank thrive is a a calcium reactor other than that this guy prunes his tank quite often and gives frags away for free all the time, alot of guys in our reef club have switched to t5's cause of our local power company ameren ip jumping rates up. I've seen tanks that nothing but sps and lps that looked way better than any other halide setup.

T5s sounds like the way to go. Thanks for your replys. I think that I will get two retro fit kits from marine depot. The tank is 36" long x 12" wide x 16"deep so two 36" kits should fit well in the canopy. Also need a good protien skimmer would prefer one to mount in sump. The sump is 17x9x8" maintains 3 to 4" water level. Not opposed to a HOB unit. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

If your on a budget look at the Coralife Super Skimmer,they work as HOB or in sump.There are better skimmers out there but they cost more ASM,Euro-Reef,ETTS,Aqua C Urchins.For the price the Coralife is a good skimmer.

you can get an aqua c remora pro usually pretty good price on reef central i've seen one on SLASH the club i'm in for 100.00 with that has a mag 5 with it instead of mag 3 that it came with. Just like mine came with rio 1400 and i upgraded to rio 2500 for my 125 now it really works great.

Thanks as always your experience and input is most welcome. The coralife super skimmer seems like it would best fit my budget. With so many brands and and adds out there it is hard for a newbie like myself to make the right choice. I do want good equipment, at the best value. Thanks, Mark.

Back