taking the lighting plunge

lynnard

Reefing newb
seems to be a sale on....so----taking my christmas money early!! i have 90 gallons (48x24 high), and would like to leave all options open for critters...do i need 8 lights or would 6 with individual reflectors be enough? should i go with novas or is catalina a good name too? are cooling fans necessary?? also catalina offers different bulb choices. any suggestions there would be extremely appreciated!! thank you everyone!

On my 90 gallon tank, I am using the Nova Extreme Pros (6 bulbs with individual reflectors). 6 bulbs with individual reflectors is better than 8 bulbs without.

Catalina can be a hit or miss when it comes to quality,

Cooling fan aren't necessary but the cooler the bulbs run the longer they last.I would choose the Nova Pros or the Tek Elites.

thanks so much...there's such a range of lights its impossible without all your help...some are 14" wide, some are 19" wide; my tank is 18" minus an inch both sides for the black plastic, so i think i should lean towards the nova extreme 8 lights that are available from a certain someone on here.....is it overkill??

For a 90 gallon tank, the 6 bulb Nova Extreme Pro (with individual reflectors) is better than the Nova Extreme 8 bulb (with no individual reflectors). The individual reflectors increase light output more than the 2 extra bulbs provide.

YAY!! i finally ordered my lights yesterday afternoon! went with nova extreme pros, (as suggested) of course...!! thanks for all your help and information, too, i must say again...

also looking for my octopus (of course) skimmer now. want a hob one, seems a 1000 for 90 gallons?? or something else??

Back