Tank set up question

jr7168

Artic Reefer!
Okay i am taking advice from everyone, articles read, LFS and now i'm stressing out a bit. Okay so i bought the 29g tank and located and set it up. i think boiled 10g of water cooled it and added oceanic sea salt mix, i also added 5g of tap water and added sea salt mix, and finally mixed in 8g of salt water i had running in my 10g tank. My concern is i have read its okay to boil water and cool down and other say its bad bad bad. i have had the salt water filtering for 24 hrs with nothing in it. then i added 20 lbs of live sand. Am i okay?

I understand i didnt know i'm new. so will it be okay or have i wasted water, salt, and sand? i'm just trying to figure out what to do

boiling the water will only concentrate the bad stuff in tap water, plus some of the metals from the pot could be transfered to the water. You should either buy distilled water or RO/DI water. That is pure water and is what you should be using in your tank to prevent algae issues and to keep sensitive corals and inverts alive and happy.

Correct me if I'm wrong people.

I would get some RODI water and premix the salt after it runs for a day then drain teh water out of the tank down to sand level and then add the RODI water. The water there is wasted but you should be ok with your live sand.

okay i will prepare for this and hope for the best. thanks glad this gets quick replies but it eases my mind.

is your tap water chlorinated or is it well water? If it is well water I wouldnt be to concerned to get it all out of there at once (Alot of us use well water).. get distilled or ro/di and do a larger change like 50% then keep up on smaller changes after..

not in that tank. i have 20 lbs live sand in there and i have a 10g tank with 8lbs live rock and 20 lbs of live sand waiting to be transfered.

It might be a pain in the ass now, but you'll be thanking yourself in the long run for doing the extra work.

Leave the sand in there, and just replace what water you have with a new batch of saltwater made with RO/DI or distilled. When you do your top offs and water changes, uses RODI or distilled as well.

This will significantly reduce the chance of getting random algae outbreaks. You'll still get some but it won't be anywhere near as bad.

I forget who said it, (Saxton?), but the quote "You're not keeping fish, you're keeping water." is true.

What your tank looks like in the end is completely dependent on how well you keep your water. Everything else is secondary.

thank you much for the advice. i am getting her together now. i will try and figure out how to put up pics. i also checked with my locals and they all use tap water. up here in the cold north dakota they dont use chlorine in the water and its pH is 8.5.

I use tap also and I would suggest that you just have the water tested so you know what metals are going to be in it so you can be ready... Mine came up really nice so I had no issues using it.

and i shall now admit i am completely gullable to word of mouth. i better check it cause i havent died yet. haha. and/or i'm just a hardy guy as it be haha. :)

I have a clam that is probably 2-3" across and he open up on side of my live rock? he has a few spider web lookin things coming off him and little white dots all over side of my live rock? any ideas what they and it is?

I took some pictures on my iphone though i do not know how to upload it on here. and today's payday for military! woohoo more liverock and hopefully a skimmer. :)

jr, after transerring your pics to your computer, upload them to photobucket, then you can copy the IMG link there to post on the forum.

Back