Tearing down my 180

youtoo54

Reefing newb
I am tearing down my 180 to move it to its permanent home. I have built an inwall cabinet that will house it and make it look like its part of the wall. The last few months we have neglected it and have had alot of hair algae take over the rocks. While the tank is going to be down for awhile should I let the rock dry out and start over? or scrub it off as best as I can. We have alot of GSP and Colt, kenya and some other stuff that is also growing on the rock. I just dont want to cause problems when we re set this back up. The tank has also not had a clean up crew in it in 8 months or longer. The puffer, trigger, grouper, and eel have eaten everything lol.

While buying animals to eat the algae can help, it is best to find the underlying cause, which in this case is admitted neglect. It happens with us all from time to time. Life gets between us and our wet pets. Don't kill off your rock, especially if the hair algae is the only pest you have. Consider yourself lucky! lol Just get your nitrates and phosphates at zero. Scrub off as much of the hair algae as you can and start keeping your tank as close to zero nitrates and phosphates as you can. Are you selling your fish or keeping them? If you can't have a clean up crew, you will have to be even more diligent with keeping up on your maintenance. Good luck with the move! I hope everything goes smoothly for you! There are several great threads about moving a tank if you need any tips.

Back