The controversial stray voltage issue...

Steveg229

Addicted
So, last night I decided to check if I had any stray voltage in my tank. I about fell over when it said 42.8 volts :death::shocking:. I checked the DT and the sump with both the same results. I unplugged everything 1 at a time and found that every item that was in the water was contributing some sort of voltage adding up to the 42.8. It was not one single item. Needless to say I quickly created a grounding probe with a stainless steel spoon and some wire. I will be going to get a titanium grounding probe today.....

I have everything plugged into 2 power strips which are plugged into a GFCI outlet.

After much research, and having my associates in electronic engineering, I am still a bit confused :dunno:...Induction? I have read all sorts of theorys on stray voltage and grounding probes, good and bad. I want to hear what you all think, and how many of you use them?

I use them. With 240, my livestock was inexplicably dying off. I found out there was stray voltage in the tank, and like your situation, it was coming from numerous sources. When I put a grounding probe in there, the tank did better. I have used one ever since. I hear both sides of the argument. It seems to be one of those things that you just have to try out for yourself and make the decision on your own.

hi all, thought i would check mine, and!!! totally surprised, 87v, done the switch 1 piece off at a time, but same as you, no single piece of equipment, all was contributing, so now got plug and stainless steel spoon with an earth wire connected, checked and now got 0.01v. would of thought i might of got a bit of a kick somewhere along the way, but nothing. great post, will follow to see how many have this problem

I use one. I don't think there's one answer. I"ve read someone here talking about why it's bad to have a grounding probe because it can hide a worse underlying problem with a piece of equipment. But I don't want to be without one.

In my 125, I have a mix of old and new equipment. I started to get that grounded feeling when I stick my hand near the water. So one by one, I took all my electric stuff out of the water after unplugging. Put them back in one at a time, plugged, and tested. First time, I pinpointed it to this one piece of equipment. Left it out. Next day, did the same thing, now the piece from yesterday wasn't giving problems, but then another piece was. I did this many times, each time getting different results. So I said screw it. I'll just ground it all out LOL

Back