"The Dark Hobby"

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
oh what a bafoon... he shouldnt be pulling facts out his ass and pretending they are valid...
and also how does he expect people to take such extreme accusations seriously when he makes ridiculous puns through the piece [ie fishious cycle]... at least be professional if your trying to get your point across on something "so serious"

I find many of his facts off base (99% of fish die in aquariums in one year? Give me a break)

I think as a group, its important for us to be aware of this....

I would think that the 99% is pretty accurate. considering that he's talking about every goldfish sold on the planet. We see plenty of dumb stuff just on this site..So I can't disagree with the 99%...I wouldn't mind if all of my fish and corals were tank raised. Wouldn't bother me in the least.

P.S.- I didn't read the article.

this just further taints the image of that group for me... like with the whaling issue, i completely agree whaling is sick and should be stoped... howevver their methods are so extremist that it almost seems like they are just doing it for good ratings. rather than formally addressing the situation with international/United nations intervention, they take it into their own hands in tugboats and dingies to try to bring down massive japanese whaling industry ships. even so they dont even attempt to sink/break the ship down to prevent whales from being killed... all they do is spoil the whale meat by through sulfuric acid bombs onto the ship deck... soooooooo now theres jsut a bunch of angry japanese whalers with a lack of meat and a whole ocean of whales waiting to be killed. very intelligent.

this just further taints the image of that group for me... like with the whaling issue, i completely agree whaling is sick and should be stoped... howevver their methods are so extremist that it almost seems like they are just doing it for good ratings. rather than formally addressing the situation with international/United nations intervention, they take it into their own hands in tugboats and dingies to try to bring down massive japanese whaling industry ships. even so they dont even attempt to sink/break the ship down to prevent whales from being killed... all they do is spoil the whale meat by through sulfuric acid bombs onto the ship deck... soooooooo now theres jsut a bunch of angry japanese whalers with a lack of meat and a whole ocean of whales waiting to be killed. very intelligent.

The Sea Shepard has been chasing whaling boats long before there was a TV show. He's been employing the same tactics for years. They've tried to prevent the killing of whales through legislation but it doesn't work because they call the vessels research vessels. If they attempted to actually harm the japanese whaling ships they'd all be in a Japanese prison, so they do what they can...While agree with you that some of their tactics are a little whacky....you've gotta commend him for standing up for what he believes in. Instead of just saying "somebody should do something about that".

I would think that the 99% is pretty accurate. considering that he's talking about every goldfish sold on the planet. We see plenty of dumb stuff just on this site..So I can't disagree with the 99%...I wouldn't mind if all of my fish and corals were tank raised. Wouldn't bother me in the least.

P.S.- I didn't read the article.

Excuse me!?! :mrgreen:

I agree about the way the article was written, I just figured it was something that should be shared with Living Reefs. I buy tank raised whenever possible, even if it means paying more

well i obviously havent seen every episode of "whale wars" so i suppose i shouldnt run my mouth so hard but they just seem extremist all around to me. i admit i dont have an immediate solution, it just seems like there has to be a different way of going about things. my point is that everything i see from this group screams attention whoring extremist group hahaha

The Sea Shepard has been chasing whaling boats long before there was a TV show. He's been employing the same tactics for years. They've tried to prevent the killing of whales through legislation but it doesn't work because they call the vessels research vessels. If they attempted to actually harm the japanese whaling ships they'd all be in a Japanese prison, so they do what they can...While agree with you that some of their tactics are a little whacky....you've gotta commend him for standing up for what he believes in. Instead of just saying "somebody should do something about that".

they just seem extremist all around to me. . my point is that everything i see from this group screams attention whoring extremist group hahaha

I completely agree with you. They are extremists. Anybody who jumps in a boat and travels to Antarctica to chase down whaling vessels is extremist...IMO, that doesn't make it wrong, just extreme. Of course they're attention whoring extremists, in their opinion, that's the only way to get the message across and shed light on what they view as wrong. They've tried every other remedy and nothing worked.

It's very similar to vigilante justice. If the courts wont' do anything some people will choose to take the law into their own hands. That doesn't necessarily mean the they're wrong. Just a little out of the ordinary.

i know but if it is true vigilante justice why dont they BLOW UP the whaling boats? the only reason they dont hurt the boats or whalers is because of laws right? and even so arent they japanese laws that they face? im not claiming to be an expert on whaling/japanese economics/ or international waters' legislation but they jsut seem to contradict themselves often and appear as hypocrites

i know but if it is true vigilante justice why dont they BLOW UP the whaling boats? the only reason they dont hurt the boats or whalers is because of laws right?

Because in their opinion they're on a mission. If they blow up a whaling boat, the company that owns it will simply replace it, they'll be in jail for murder and the mission will be over. And John Q Public isn't very sympathetic to people who kill others. They're simply trying to shed light on something that in their opinion is wrong.

then maybe they are going about this wrong and have the wrong opinions and mind set.

I agree, there are probably much smarter ways for them to do things, I've only watched the show a couple of times...to me they kinda' look like the keystone cops out there. But you know what they say about opinions.

They don't want to kill or hurt anybody. So they aren't going to blow up a whaling vessel filled with people. They do want the whaling to stop, though. They know that they alone cannot stop the whaling, so they HAVE to create publicity stunts out of their actions. The only way to get the international community to listen to them is to have public outrage and pressure. And the more they are on TV and the news, the more the public sees them and their message.

I disagree with their tactics. I think they should approach it from a different angle and try to change the loophole in the law that the Japanese and other whaling nations exploit to be able to hunt and kill whales. The Japanese are using a technicality in the law to get away with breaking it. What they are doing is definitely not in the spirit of the law, but it is technically legal.

Laws of international waters is murky and there is no international waters police force to make or enforce those laws -- which is why the Sea Shepherds are not in jail in spite of what they do to the whaling ships. If they pulled those stunts on land, or in a country's water, they'd be in jail for eco-terrorism. The reason they get away with what they do is because there is no governance out where they do it.

::sigh:: just read the article. I believe that man needs to pull his head out of ass and realize that home aquariusts may be the last hope the reefs have. I'd like to see where he got those redunkulous numbers about how 99% of fish die in a year and a retail price of $50-$150?!?!

There was a time when fishermen in poor countries and in some not so poor countries robbed the reefs to supply the hobby. During colleciton these fishermen destroyed much of the reef. In the Phillipines, it was not unheard of to throw dynamite into the reef and kill a hundred fish so they could collect a half dozen fish that were still alive. Thsi kind of thing stil happens too.

Things have changed. Now a days there is a lot of aqua-culturing of corals and clams, mari-culturing (grown in the ocean) and tank raised fish. Large companies, like ORA in Florida are raising clowns and other fish in tanks for re-sale. Re-sellers are demanding that suppliers be more reef conscious.

I have a simple rule: take nothing out of the sea unless it is plentiful. If everyone followed this common-sense rule and all that it implies the oceans would be a lot better off.

Back