The smallest denitrate reactor

Bertie

Reefing newb
Hi all -
I had this idea about turning the mid section of my tiiny built-in sump into a primitive reactor. The feedback was that this would be ineffective as there would be no spinning or pummelling of the pellets. Which leaves me to ask y'all:

What is the smallest reactor container made. I could put it in a corner of my little tank and connect it to the outlet and let it's own outlet be the tank outlet. Not pretty, but maybe a healthy little tank.

Someone must know what the smallest working nitrate reactor is - the ads never put the physical dimensions in visible print. It only needs to make a moderate difference on a 29 gal tank, much of which is stone and sand.

Please, any forum member: just tell the the smallest reactor YOU know about and I'll muddle on from there.
Many thanks from Bertie

if you cant set up the media correctly there is no point doing it, instead look at making a tiny refugium which will also remove nitrates and phosphates

Little_Fish, I am saying I want to BUY a working reactor, not set something up wrongly. I'm just asking people in the forum what is the smallest effective one for sale.

That's all.

Bless you, Northstar.

I have patience. Can continue with my huge weekly water changes until they hit the market. They look perfect.

water changes

Hey Northstar -

I never thought a de-nitrator would eliminate water changes. Right now we do between 20 -50% of change weekly. Having a 29 gallon tank makes it not too much trouble. But still, it's almost impossible to keep my nitrates consistantly below 10. No phosphates, but we're eccentrics whoo use a little bitty tank almost exclusively for SPS corals and I would like to lower the level.

Most of our rock and our acros and sand are taken from a much older tank, so it's not as though we just took a raw cube and started putting demanding corals into it. In fact the acropora is doing best of the corals. They are not growing as fast as i'd like, however. It may be we are using too much LED light, or I'm just impatient.

We started keeping a reef tank in the 80's, when SPS corals were simply impossible in a home reef, so returning to the hobby after all these years both Ron & I really wanted to try our hands at SPS corals, even though they are really not as impressive in a small tank as mushrooms and leathers!

By the way, I just ordered a cosmetic 2nd CPR nano reactor and pump. On Ebay. At $37.50 we won't lose much and it is very tiny. Thanks so much for the heads-up.

No problem, I just didn't want you thinking it was a magic pill that would eliminate the need for water changes, that's all :)

You'll have to post a review of the reactor once you get it set up, I am sure there are many people here that would be interested in such a reactor

Back