There is something I don't understand...

Nick

Reefing newb
My weekly water change (25%) is due tomorrow. I prepared my water this morning and decided to test the new water going in to the tank tomorrow. Below is a comparison of my current readings and the new water going in...

Current Water Replacement Water
Specific Gravity 1.025 1.023
PH 8.200 7.400
Amonnia <.25
Nitrites 0.000
Nitrates 10.000
KH 161.100 304.000
Calcium 300.000 300.000

I add 22.5 ounces of Instant Ocean to 5 gallons of RO/DI water. I also add 1 teaspoon of Kent buffer. After 12 hours of mixing, I tested again.

I don't understand the reduction in pH? I thought buffer was supposed to RAISE pH?
Is it normal for hardness to drop over time?

Just trying to understand.

what do you mix your water. if there is no light it will effect your ph if you would test you tank ph before you lights come on then check it again about 6 hrs after your lights come on it will be different. but from your test the ph is the least if your worries i would be more worried why you have ammonia and nitrates in the water you just mixed nitrates is what you want to remove from your tank with water changes on putting them in

Let me repost those numbers.... the previous post was misleading...

Specific Gravity - Current Water: 1.025 New Water: 1.023

pH - Current Water: 8.2 New Water: 7.4

Ammonia - Current Water: <.25 New Water: Not tested - Assumed 0

Nitrites - Current Water: 0 New Water: Not tested - Assumed 0

Nitrates - Current Water: 10.0 New Water: Not tested - Assumed 0

KH - Current Water: 161.0 New Water: 304.0

Calcium - Current Water: 300.0 New Water: 300.0

As I mentioned earlier:

I add 22.5 ounces of Instant Ocean to 5 gallons of RO/DI water. I also add 1 teaspoon of Kent buffer. After 12 hours of mixing, I tested again.

I don't understand the reduction in pH? I thought buffer was supposed to RAISE pH?
Is it normal for hardness to drop over time?

Just trying to understand.

a buff just stabilizes the ph does not increase it if you want to raise you ph the you would use baking soda and use an acid such as lemon juice to lower it or you can buy stuff to do it as well

A buffer will raise pH but, pH will also be affected by other factors like light, oxygen and CO2 content in the water. So that may be why you're seeing a difference. Also, I'm not so sure about your pH reading as its rare to see it below 7.8.

And yes Alk will drop over time as will Cal and Mag.

Back