This is so exciting!

I did not release them. The former owner did. I believe it's illegal to release fish back into the ocean in Florida, even if they are native.

Now that's what I call a welcome. Thank you +

I was very pleased with the water testing the store did for me today. After two weeks, ammonia and nitrite are barely detectable and nitrates are 5. It looks like there may have been a very small cycle but it sounds like my tank man knew what he was talking about. I'll work on those pictures.

Re: Your comments are riddled with assumptions +

The man who helped me move the tank has been designing and relocating tanks for 26 years. I certainly don't have more poop now. Have you ever seen first hand how much a 9 inch lionfish eats and poops? It's like dropping a grenade in the sand. That fish was not going to make the move. We ate him for dinner that night. You see, lionfish are an invasive species in Florida. This one was caught locally and grew and grew and grew. Their sting packs a wallop and I have been stung twice while diving. The flesh is a delicacy and completely safe to eat. Furthermore, I'm not a kid and probably old enough to be your mother. Are you always this condescending to new members/beginners. With all due respect, I should probably search for a local south east Florida group... People who collect and understand local wildlife. I would consider a starfish to be good at clean up when it had nearly devoured my little dead damsel over an out of town weekend.

A new analysis has found toxins in Lionfish and some doctors are saying not to eat them.

Eating lionfish

A new analysis has found toxins in Lionfish and some doctors are saying not to eat them.

We (the people who eat lionfish in Florida) believe that the lionfish found in Florida waters are not dangerous. There has been some chatter among scientists here about the prevalence of ciguatera toxin in the Caribbean vs. Atlantic. The toxin should not be any more prevalent in lionfish than other predatory fish like grouper and snapper. I believe the rate of contamination is more tied to the location where pollution causes the cig in the algae to thrive. Here in Florida, we have the amazing gulf stream continuously moving the water as well as the EPA regulating what gets dumped into the ocean. I would be careful eating any predatory fish in the Caribbean. If you haven't tried lionfish, it's really delicious. It's probably my favorite fish.

Hello Amazz, I'm new to this forum too. Would have hoped that I would have seen more positive stuff being posted on a newbie intro. Hope my noob post doesn't get shot down as hard as yours!! Fly safe !!

Hello Amazz, I'm new to this forum too. Would have hoped that I would have seen more positive stuff being posted on a newbie intro. Hope my noob post doesn't get shot down as hard as yours!! Fly safe !!

As long as your willing to act upon your mistakes and not come to a forum and tell people they are wrong, you'll be fine! ;)

Yes we were just trying to give her some constructive advice and apparently we came off as rude or condescending....or maybe people just don't wanna best that they are wrong...anyways, as Waddi said as long as you are willing to take our advice you will be fine.

Re: Now that's what I call a welcome. Thank you +

I was very pleased with the water testing the store did for me today. After two weeks, ammonia and nitrite are barely detectable and nitrates are 5. It looks like there may have been a very small cycle but it sounds like my tank man knew what he was talking about. I'll work on those pictures.

Better step up the water changes - any detectable ammonia and nitrite is poisonous to fish

Back