To Clean of Not to Clean...

blazk

Reefing newb
Curious should you use any glass cleaning chemicals eg Windex (window / glass cleaner) to clean the outside of your fish tank. I read a lot of different posts on this topic. I don't really see the harm in it, its not like your going to anywhere near the water to clean the outside of the glass or anything. Any opinions on this subject?

I wouldnt.If you can smell it,its in the air.If its in the air,it an get into the water.
We spend way to much time and money on our tanks and keeping our livestock healthy and happy,so why risk it.
I just use a water dampened cloth to wipe it.Then after it drys,I go over it again with a sheet of crumpled up newspaprer.

BTW
Nice avatar:D

You can steal my avatar :). Oh now i understand the AIR is what does it...newspaper used to be the way i did the car windows so why not a tank. Good stuff yote. Thanks

Oh even better, I had no idea that the air carries the particles into the water. I will defiantly be more careful in the future.

it would be hard to prove whether spraying windex in the same room would have any effect on your tank. Is there any account out there of a person doing it and then his tank dies or is it just people being overly cautious? I definitely could see how it would effect it if it was sprayed into the tank, but ...

yer me to i think. Definatly will just consider using a damp car cloth seems soft and absorbent. New one of course. Maybe 2 1 to clean and 1 to buff.

I use a vinegar-water solution to clean my glass. It works better than just plain water, and it's not harmful to the tank if you accidentally get a bit in the water.

Spray the cloth away fro the tank then wipe the outside of the glass. I do this all the time and there is no problem.

I have always lightly sprayed the fron t of the tank or just sprayed newspaper and have never had any problems.

I use mild non-ammonia window cleaner on my cars and on my tank. I gently spray it on the glass and it comes out as more of a stream than a mist. I also have a canopy on my tank. I wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. If I couldn't control the spray I would spray it on the mf cloth and then wipe.

Back