To Sump or Not?

jhenby

Reefing newb
Hi all ..guess I'm still in the eighties? The concept of the refugium is new to me. I have a Pro Clear 75 wet/dry with bio balls and everything seems to be fine. But I do like the refugium concept. I ran across a pic of my PC filter converted into a refugium and it looks pretty easy to do. Will the filtration and water quality be better if I chuck the bio balls and replace that section with a light and a fuge?I enclosed a pic. I am limited on space under the tank and this seems to be a perfect setup if I decide to do this...Thanks in advance...J

Sorry forgot the pic...here it is!

Attachments

• front_newsump.jpg
    front_newsump.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 197
Duh... Guess I need to look at archives first before I post....Answered most of my questions! I'm going to go for it. Makes sense. Sorry for the brain fart!

I agree, bioballs tend to store nutrients/nitrates while chaeto will help remove it... can't see any negatives to this change......

DEFINITELY!! more water volume, better filtration, no equipment in the display, more options with skimmers and equipment in general, easier to keep salinity stable, less heat problems, easier maintenance in general.... the list goes on and on.

I'm a huge fan of sumping, I know you don't have to, but IMO a properly designed marine aquarium uses a sump.

drill away. :P

DEFINITELY!! more water volume, better filtration, no equipment in the display, more options with skimmers and equipment in general, easier to keep salinity stable, less heat problems, easier maintenance in general.... the list goes on and on.

I'm a huge fan of sumping, I know you don't have to, but IMO a properly designed marine aquarium uses a sump.

drill away. :P

I agree 100%

A basis shop light with a PC bulb at 6700k will grow it fine.

woops sorry I didn't realize you were talking about the sump lighting, so bigH is totally right! even a regular lightbulb will work!

I never said anything about the bioballs. They're a nitrate factory. Due to their simplicity they provide a home for lots of nitrifying bacteria, but unlike live rock they don't house anaerobic bacteria (if i have the right term) which breaks down nitrates basically. There all you are doing with bioballs is pulling stuff through the nitrogen cycle so that they become nitrates and phosphates, instead of allowing your skimmer to pull them out before hand. They also collect detritus. Either do the fuge, and remember to harvest the macro algae, or pack it with LR rubble.

Last edited:
I use regular old plant bulbs (available at any store) for my fuge lights. I bought some track lighting from Lowe's cheap (about $14 total), mounted them to the wall behind my fuge, and screwed in two plant bulbs. It really doesn't take any special lighting to get algae to grow, as you may know already!!

Looks like you have recived alot of good advice, One thing to watch for if you are new to refugiums, when you get ready to add chaeto or caulerpa look closely at the tank or refugium you are recieving it from. There are alot of undesirable hich hickers that come with chaeto, look for flatworms, bristleworms, spiders, and any other unwanted pests. dont add anything you dont want.

I wasn't sure if there was an advantage from one or the other? I have fine Carib sand in the tank, 3 or so inches and I've seen the fuge mud products.So I haven't determined which one I'll use yet.

Both have their benefits and drawbacks.I dont think ones any better than the other,so it all comes down to which one you like the best.

Back