Tons of little Critters....

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
So all of a sudden, I see all kinds of "new" things in the tank. I went to Melevsreef.com to Id them and came up with Isopods and some sort of sponge called a Scypha sponge. I am hoping this is a good sign since the isopods are everywhere and there are about 3 of the little tiny sponges.
Maybe my tank is starting to "mature" now.
Fingers crossed. I will try to get a photo but doubt they will show up.

I'd say thats a pretty good sign that your tanks doing good.
Try looking after the light been out for an hour or so to.You'll really love the night life in there.

yeah, everthing seems to be doing good. I went to my LFS today to check out some corals. BUt really didn't like anything. I will keep searching.

Pods make good tank cleaners.Detritus,film algae,scavengers,fish food,coral food.Keep checking for corals,I believe you are ready.There has to be at least a dozen fish stores in Jersey.

Sponges are filter feeders, so if you want them to continue to grow you will need to feed them phtoplankton. It is available frozen, or someplaces fresh. With just the one tank you would probably be better off, money wise, with frozen. A lot of different pods and other life forms will eat the phytoplankton also, but it is to small for fish except new borns.

Pods are good. Means your water is stable and in good shape. Wait until you start getting pink sponges. They look like gummy bears/rubberery and have long wavy arms. :bounce:

As far as corals go, you need to make sure that it's really what you want. I wish I had less zoas and more LPS. I LOVE my mushrooms and the zoas are really cool because I ended up with some pretty cool colors. But I mostly like the LPS stuff. I'm after some purple favia or more acans now.

I like LPS, zoas, SPS, mushrooms and polyps. I want more SPS, but I'm picky about the color and type, so it's difficult to find frags that I am willing to pay for. They are expensive. I'd like an orange or red cap monti, but can't find one locally.

I don't care for the softies like leathers or colts. For some reason, they just don't appeal to me. I guess maybe I'm lucky. They wage chemical warfare in your tank anyway, so it usually requires a better filter system (more carbon). I don't want to deal with that. It's enough trouble to keep my tank in good shape without softies belching out toxins daily.

I do like mushrooms and zoos. I also like LPS. I will keep searching. I like the frogspawns and torches. We will see !!

Back