Trouble Keeping Salinity Down

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey

So no matter what I do it seems that my salinity always rises back up to the 1.-28-1.030 range. I do water changes weekly, usually changing out about 10% or so and within a day or two it is back up. I think it is maybe because I have a lot evaporation but that is only a guess. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it down?

Thanks!
-Tom

I will recommend you to use a refractometer to measure your salinity they are very accurate and easy to use. I bought my at BRS for a very good price that included the calibration fluid. And if you are using freshwater your salinity shouldn't be increasing. The only way it can is because some how you're adding more salt to it.

Make sure that when you do your water changes the salinity of the water is the same that in your tank, just to make sure it's OK.

If you have a lot evaporation in your tank just remember that you should put freshwater to compensate the loss of water, but do not add more salt because salt doesn't evaporate. It remains in the tank in a higher concentration because it has less water in it, so adding the freshwater will make it right again.

Good Luck! :)

Back