undergravel=skimmer????

jeepjunky

Reefing newb
Ok yes I know that an undergravel filter is not a "skimmer." But, a skimmer takes in water runs mico air bubbles through it bubbles pick up trash, u dump trash. So isnt a undergravel a REALLY poor, but a basic skimmer?
Again, im not planning on using an undergravel for a sw aquarium. Im just trying to get all the info / pics and voices in my head to jive before I build my own skimmer.
thanks,
at this point Im thinking of calling my aquarium "Titanic":mrgreen:

Not even remotely the same. A skimmer physically removes the waste from the water, while an undergravel filter just locks it under the gravel where it can rot while the water passes through it. (Only now it's a million times harder to clean.)

:question:

Undergravel filters are nothing like skimmers. I tried an undergravel filter in a marine tank and it did not work well. It became a huge detritus trap.

hmmm, from what I have seen (no its not much) a skimmer takes in water, then air is pumped into the same chamber the water is in, and the air makes bubbles that remove the poo.
the undergravel takes in water (under the gravel) it is pulled to the up tubes via a venturi, air is pumped in creating the venturi, the poo water is pumped through the tube filters...
So in therory, if more air is used to create the bubble froth, and instead of pumping it through a filter the bubbles were allowed to leave the system...it would be a skimmer.
Thus I like the concept that it would be like caling caves a form of condos. Dress it up a little renovation and there you are! lol
thanks, and why yes I am able to walk and chew gum at the same time...darn, just tripped and swallowed my bubble yum!?!

hmmm, from what I have seen (no its not much) a skimmer takes in water, then air is pumped into the same chamber the water is in, and the air makes bubbles that remove the poo.
the undergravel takes in water (under the gravel) it is pulled to the up tubes via a venturi, air is pumped in creating the venturi, the poo water is pumped through the tube filters...
So in therory, if more air is used to create the bubble froth, and instead of pumping it through a filter the bubbles were allowed to leave the system...it would be a skimmer.
Thus I like the concept that it would be like caling caves a form of condos. Dress it up a little renovation and there you are! lol
thanks, and why yes I am able to walk and chew gum at the same time...darn, just tripped and swallowed my bubble yum!?!

And were is the collection cup? and how will it froth to make skimmate? why are sum skimmers better than others? more bubbles just doesn't make froth its the micro bubbles which are lighter in weight lift dissolved organic material to the top and in a collection cup...under gravel filters just suck it down and pump it back into the water column

Another logistical problem is that the aragonite that is ideal for saltwater would slip through the slits of the undergravel filter, clogging it up.

yep I see that an undergravel would not work as a filtering system for a sw aquarium. again Im looking at the DIY skimmers on the net, and they seem to be loosly related to a undergravel. I agree that micro bubbles are needed, I agree that that there needs to be a way to catch the bubbles.
I guess that I may have not been clear in my original question, my bad and no biggy. Is the basic priciple the same, they use many of the same parts, just not in the same place. I understand that one would be like a bicycle and the other a corvette...both can get you to work, but some of us cannot afford a vette, but a bike isnt out of the question.
Thanks again

Like I said I userd an undergravel filter. It will NOT generate nearly enough bubbles to create the frothy protein skum that a skimmer will.

Back