unkown sponge and snail

twotall

Reefing newb
hope someone can id these for me. the sponge is blackish purple and the snail is all white with a spiny shell. couldn't get a good pic of snail thing. thks (:?:
(jrh) twotall
p.s. hope this works fist time tring toi add pics to forum

biff tried to get a better pic of snail but only way to get it clearer is to back up but then its to small to even see. used wifes new camera but still no good. how about the sponge my wife got all the lfs new was its a black sponge attached to a rock or at least thats what there invoice said. can't seem to find anything about it, but it looks to be doing fine.

Look like a lot of cool stuff in there. Very colorful and alive. The 46g bowfront seems to be a very popular tank. Sorry I can't help ID those though. I only know like 3 species or coral by name right now, pretty sad. Getting better though through all the very, very, knowledgable people here.

Any tips on how you keep your tank looking so crystal clean?

In general, sponges need to be disected and under a microscope with a trained eye to positively identify, however, as with most sponges, you need good water parameters, good flow/circulation, not direct but caotic, and adequate suspended food. Keep us posted on how you do. keeping sponges is surly a learning process. usually not an animal I would purchase, although Ive had sponges in the past. nice looking animal though. good luck with it.

Never Allow Sponges to dry out - air can Kill them.

Keep sponges immersed in water at all times to prevent air being trapped inside the animal. Trapped air is a major cause of death. Avoid placing sponges in areas where they can become smothered by detritus. Blue and purple sponges have symbiotic species of cyanobacteria that require high levels of lighting.

Cant id the snail too blurry of a pic.

Last edited:
Back