Update on my 28g fowlr

poolshark181

Reefing newb
Heres an update on my tank.

It's about 45 pounds of live rock and 10 pounds of base.

there are 4 turbos, and 12 hermits.

coral substrate

1 powerhead

oh, theres some hair algae on my new live rock, will my turbos eat it?

P1020220.JPG

you can take of that rock and brush it with a tootbrush to remove the algae and rinse it with water..or it will spread to the others..cause it looks that is gonna be too much work for the turbos...since its a new rock, cleanning it well it will help in the cycle..good luck...by the way ..tank looks great!!!...

Tanks looks great, but I thnk you might need one more power head for more movement. Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree with Rigo, that appears to be too much algae for the turbos. Try removing as much of it by hand as you can, then hopefully the snails will take care of what's left. Make sure your water parameters are in check, or it will just come back again.

yeah everything looks great, maybe another powerhead would help, but take off some of that algae if you can

thanks for all the responses guys =]
the algae isnt from my existing live rock, it's from the new ones that i bought from somebody else's tank.

salinity 1.024
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 ppm
Phosphate .5ppm

im going to add a shrimp at the end of the week, and maybe a fish, not clowns yet though. what's another good small fish that i can add in?

also, theres some kind of red seed with fluffy outerhairs growing around my center piece. it reminds me of those dandelions, only red, and not so many fluff. what is it?

Your phosphates are high enough for you to have algae problems in the future, I'd try to get them down to zero. About the red seed thing, you'd need to post a pic for someone to be able to ID it. And some other good fish, like Rigo said, you can't go wrong with gobies.

If your not careful,you'll end up joining the AFT,which you DO NOT want.
Hair can spread pretty fast.Next time you do a water change,take the rocks with hair out and give them a good scrubbibg with a tooth brush.
Tanks looks great though.

Looking good Pool.....the Turbos should take care of the hair algae.I would work on removing the phosphate.From your description of the hitchhiker,I haven't a clue...can you post a pic?

ok, ill scrub it the next time i do a water change. thanks everyone!

someone warned me that the rock placement needed to be stacked lower to allow for fish to swim freely. anyone second this?

yeah you can definitely use that one piece of rock for your QT and that would give you plenty of room for the fish

I bought a sea hare a couple days ago and he freaking ate any thing that even resembled algae. My tank is beyond algae free..... Kinda scary

the problem with that piece is, it's not really a rock. it's dead coral. it's got alot of holes through it and every time i pick it up, pieces come loose. im not sure if i want to use such piece in a qt tank. (i dont have a qt tank yet either, and im not sure im getting one)

i might just rearrange the rock a bit, or once my friend finishes setting his tank up, give it to him. what do you all think?

I think that algae is going to spread like wild fire and I would do something extreme ASAP. All the other rocks look great and there covered in coraline algae. I wouldnt want to infect them.

I agree with hawk. Your always better safe than sorry and if it does spread it will take forever to rid yourself of it. Good luck.

Back