Urchin Questions

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Sorry for the new thread, but still trying to figure out what to do with my urchin that ate my coral. Once an urchin develops a taste for coral, will it continue to eat other types of coral as well? The one it ate is peaceful and doesn't have stinger tentacles, do you think it would go after stinging corals too? If this particular guy isn't ever going to be reef safe, then maybe I should just trade him in.

My other question is whether the urchin sting is toxic for cats? If I don't trade him in, I will be setting up a nano tank at home to house him... and one of my cats is very curious and I worry she will find a way to stick her paw in the water to bat at it if it gets on the back glass near the top (even if I put a hood on the tank). If this happens and she gets stung will she be okay?

Thanks!!

I think the poison is only local -- it causes stinging and burning in the area where you are pricked. Your cat would have to pound down pretty hard on the spines to get stuck with them. I wouldn't worry. :)

Thanks, Biff! I bought the tank after work today, brought it home and discovered (1) it was cracked on the bottom so I have to exchange it, and (2) it didn't fit where I thought it would (cabinets are too low). Good news is that I found a different place for it in my dining room where my cats won't actually be able to get to it (at least I hope not, unless they try to jump on it, at which point I'll likely have glass, fish, rocks, sand and water on my floor!). And I went with a simple aqueon 10g kit that has a full hood. The light sucks but at this point I don't think that really matters since the urchin likes corals! I might try more aggressive corals at some point down the road and if the urchin doesn't eat it in the first few days then I'll order new lights. In the mean time, I've got to get them out of my 90 so the basic set up will have to do! :)

Back