UV Sterilizer Options?

Ace5high

Reefing newb
Ive been trying to get my hands on a Corallife UV 6x Sterilizer for months now to replace my broken down "Green Killing Machine".

Ive had 3 Orders canceled in the last month from online retailers who listed it "IN STOCK" and then canceled my order. The only other places that have them in stock JACKED the price up to like $200. When these are available the 6x typically goes for about $129, there is no way im going to pay 50% more from fosters... etc...

SO, im getting tired of chasing these things around and would welcome ANY other options for UV sterilization?

I know they are being made but cant find any other manufactures of sterilizers that I can get feedback about. Please help!

Does anyone use UV sterilizers? I have to say it has been one of the BEST investments in my reef tank since I started the hobby!

Waste of money in my opinion. I really don't need to run one, I don't know anyone else that does either. I bounties it and installed it at the urging of my LFS many years ago.

Used to get a sick fish or two at least every other month. In a year now after being installed I have never had a single fish ill. Also, keeps my tank from going "green" and keeps water crystal clear. I actually forgot it was doing anything until my bulb burned out recently and water started getting little cloudy. More than worth it imo.

Last edited:
You probably should figure out why your fish were getting stressed and sick, and change that, not just cover up the symptoms.

Nope no other issues, just algae bloom before the UV was added. Only fish that got sick were not put through quarantine, so the issue was not with my tank, you can read about in my old threads if interested in previous issues.

UV sterilizers don't "cover up" any water quality issues that I know of. But I can say, that do improve water quality and clarity despite popular belief, although im sure not everyone benefits from them.

Last edited:
I use a Turbo Twist 12x on my 220gal. It sits outside my 75gal sump. I have a 600gph pump running it and fits inside the manufacturers recommendation for it.

It only runs from 2am-2pm while the fuge light is on. I stopped running it 24/7 but I also run a Carbon Reactor so I decided to go this route.

As far as its effectiveness I can't say but I got it brand new for FREE. I was never able to see a major difference when I installed my 3x on my 80gal a while ago.

I can tell you it did nothing for the Ich on my powder blue and my tank always has stuff on the glass but I don't think it would help that anyway but no algae outbreaks.

Most success I read are from pond users not reef tanks.

i was also looking into one for my nano to have that extra stability as a fall back, but after reading more about them they can not indirectly cause damage to your tank, but to your tanks life for example kill off beneficial bacteria and organisms.

Last edited:
I doubt that it kills off too many good bacteria say in a large tank but in a very small tank it is probably a different story.

Back