very aggressive yellow tailed blue damselfish

janet

Reefing newb
Hi
Just thought I'd tell you about the yellow tailed blue damselfish I introduced into my aquarium a few weeks ago.... It started attacking my pulsing zenia, biting it's tenticles down to virtually nothing, attacking it aggressively... It also was attacking my clownfish too. We got it out with a lot of hassle, having to move rockes etc... Now everything is good, my zenia has grown and is now pulsing again.
Janet

Janet, thats normal for damsels, they are Very very aggressive fish. the only reason mine is doing fine is because I have one big momma of a clown fish who put him in its place. In fact, all my fish beat up my damsel because he is a bitch.

You can ask here for fish. Everyone here has had the same problem with damsels :P they look cool but are mean as anything

Yeah, they are evil as hell...it's a good thing you got it out, cause he would have killed anything you tried to put in your tank.

I've got an evil blue damsel I will give you to keep yours company. I can't put anything in my tank as long s he is there. I call him Devil Fish.

I must have gotten the odd man out, my damsel hangs out with the Chromis all day, and doesn't bother a thing. He briefly went after my Sailfin when I added him, but one swat of the Sailfin's tail put an end to that argument

Had one once and they will kill other fish but they are very hardy. They are best in a tank where they are the smallest fish.

I got a damsel because I wanted a really hardy fish. I didn't know they were really agressive though, my poor sixline got beat up as soon as he went in. I spent the rest of the day trying to net out the damsel, they are so fast! And my fish trap only ever catches the sixline wrasse D: They get along now though... Time in a hanging quarantine tank calmed the damsel down.

We have 6 little damsels, 3 different kinds. Our larger blue with the yellow tail is probably the most aggressive, but also the biggest chicken. Attack from behind and run and hide when the shoe is on the other foot. lol. Our smaller black and whites, much more calm and only get aggressive when provoked. Well, at least in a tank with other damsels.:sfish:Glad it's all under control now.

Back