vortech/substrate

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Ok, so I'm wondering if this sand (the course one) is going to be too fine for an 18" high tank with vortechs?

I'm also toying with the idea of placing all rock rubble (1-2" rubble) on top 1-2" of sand to create a unique tide-pool type look. I think it COULD become a detritus trap and potentially look really messy, but I'm not sure - it could also look pretty cool once everything got covered with coraline algae and be a great habitat for microfauna.

Any opinions?

I'd call Marco and ask. Even the coarse looks awefully fine. Not sure how the rubble would work out for you, I think you kinda answered that question yourself.

Yeah - I'll shoot them an email.

I dunno, though, I've heard a lot about so called detritus traps as being sort of a non-issue on a tank with good filtration. I saw a photo of one like that and it just looked pretty cool! Gah!

Ok, so I'm wondering if this sand (the course one) is going to be too fine for an 18" high tank with vortechs?

I'm also toying with the idea of placing all rock rubble (1-2" rubble) on top 1-2" of sand to create a unique tide-pool type look. I think it COULD become a detritus trap and potentially look really messy, but I'm not sure - it could also look pretty cool once everything got covered with coraline algae and be a great habitat for microfauna.

Any opinions?

Usually we mount the vortech a bit higher to generate bigger wave, and at the same time, avoid having sand storm. If you use all rock rubbles, you could have the vortech mount a bit lower. Stronger current near the bottom, yet, no sand storm. And remove the detritus from the rock rubble as well. I think it's a win-win.

Couldnt you just have a big flat piece of base rock that the power head would hit against and have the substrate around it?...so like you wouldnt really see the BR, it would be even with the substrate, but big enough so when the wave does come on...the main part of it (the wave) hits the top of the rock to deflect it?...idk if that made any sense. But i was wondering the same thing.....at the LFS they have crushed coral.....still clean as a whistle....

Edit: DSB too?

Probably not doing a DSB in the DT, only in the sump. I decided that a DSB is going to take up too much room in my already shallow tank - 18".

I think the base rock would be exposed as the sand around it was washed away.

Yeah, I know about crushed coral - if I go with all sand, I'm not a huge fan of how crushed coral looks - I prefer the finer grains for its friendliness with microfauna.

I started with medium course sand and recently added super fine sand to one corner of my cube.
I soaked the new super fine sand for a few days and rinsed it with RO water about 6 times before putting it in the tank one cup at a time and it doesnt blow at all.

I really like the look of the one super fine mountain of sand it breaks up the look of the sandbed. Of course my sandsifter goby hasnt discovered it yet so not sure how long it will last lol

Couldnt you just have a big flat piece of base rock that the power head would hit against and have the substrate around it?

No, not really. Instead of directionally blowing water like normal power-head do, the Vortech actually generate water current. The water flow outward in front of the Vortech, hence, everywhere else would have water current flow towards the Vortech. In my tank, I actually see water current flowing from about 1-2 feet away at the sand bed all the way to where the Vortech is, when the Vortech is mounted at certain position. Have to play with where you mount the thing.

I dont know what a vortech is I just read your reply to dana sounds pretty intense! I have two 425gph and one 300 in my 27g.

One of the 425s is blowing right at the sand mountain though because I have my plate coral on it and it still doesnt move. I think the weight of the water holds it down pretty good but again I have no idea what you are using.

This is what a single Vortech can do to a small (4 feet) tank. We usually use 2 of these for a 6 feet tank.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-HPRvzrpnQ]YouTube - Eco Tech Marine Vortech MP40W Waves[/ame]

Back