Want a new tank? 145 gal system build, I need help!!

I would asume no because it most likely has metal parts in it that would leach and rust with salt water. I use quiet one pumps they are good so far and have had them running for over a year with no problems. They are also on the less expensive side and got them from drsfostersmith.com
It is looking good can't wait till you get some water flowing. Good luck.

ok scratch that, i just saw how much more water they pumped at a higher head distance and was hoping to save some cash :( Ill check out dr foster smith!

So how do i decide on an overflow and return pump that match? is it possible to have too much flow going through the sump?

Over flows and pumps are both rated with a gph. Have the pump be a little more than your overflow--you will have head loss-- and install with a valve on the outlet of pump that way you can control the flow. IMO, yes there is a too much flow through your sump, esp if you have cheato, it needs to be in there for a while to be filtered by your skimmer, cheato, or gfo.

I am planning on running a skimmer and a scrubber, not cheato. I am thinking around 2000 gph on a 90 gal display, any i would upgrade at anytime the opportunity presented itself and i don't want to have to buy new equipment if i do. when i do the plumbing how do i seal the pvc? i assume that aquarium silicone alone wouldn't be enough.

You can use regular PVC primer and glue. Make sure you let it dry completely and then run some water through it to rinse off any residue before you use it.

I moved succesfully keeping the tanks in one peice. :) So i Think the first thing i need to do from here is build a stand and get an RO/DI system. Anybody know of a good system at a good price? Does 2000gph sound ok?

2000 gph? That doesn't sound right. Most RODI units are measured in gallons per day (gpd) and it's something like 100 gpd or 125 gpd.

sorry, the are two comlpetely seperate questions. I am looking on having 2000 gph flow threw my sump.... and i was wondering if anyone has an rodi unit that they are happy with for less than an arm and leg? How difficult is it to hook up?

I got some lumber today and im working on building my stand and a few questions have came up... Should i design the stand so that i can take the sump out? how do i make sure there is enough room to get to my skimmer and algea scrubber?

Here is the stand i have been working on, there is just enough room the 55 gal sump inside and hopefully enough for me to empty my skimmer and do what i need to do in there..
benry-albums-4-11-07-picture1105-imag0036.jpg

all i have to do now is stain it, make doors, and do trim. im curious what kind of a clear coat would be the most durable against salt water?
benry-albums-4-11-07-picture1125-imag0046.jpg

On my stand I used two coats of stain then put 3 coats of urethane on it.. Been three years since and still looks as good as the day I did it.. Just dont let any standing water sit on it and it will be fine..:D

The most durable clear you can get is Helmsman, very tough stuff.. Just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area! I use that stuff on all my outdoor wood.

cool thats the stuff i have, should i stain the inside or just put the clear coat on the inside? in using red mohogany stain and it looks great!
I have some bad news though... i broke my sump!!!! and then i broke one of the baffles when i was taking them out. :( anyway what kind of epoxy should i use? i was looking at some that was safe for drinking water but it didn't say it was for acrylic..

You can use two-party plumbing epoxy that says it is safe for drinking water. I'm not sure how well it will hold to acrylic though.

i think your best bet to find it locally is someone who works with acyrlic, like many local glass shops. You can also find it on line i think

Back