Water changes and misc things

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi to all,
Thanks for all the help. Okay we are monitoring our water. I do not have the levels handy at the moment. My son has it on the iPad app, Aquaplanner.
Today's questions are really somewhat a confirmation or correction of what I have read.

Water change percentage 10-25%?
At one month and after things have settled out? (Ammonia 0; Nitrate 0).

Adding snails? hermit crabs?

Feeding the tank now? Do I feed the tank tiny pieces of frozen brine shrimp? Already fed it small table shrimp, but it's gone.

Thanks,
Angie
Biocube 14 with 15 pounds live rock and about 15 pounds live aragonite sand.
Fluval M50 heater
stock pump
no bioballs

If your tank is cycling there should not be anything living it it, so there should be no need to feed the tank

Water changes are 10-25% weekly once your cycle has completed

Ammonia and Nitrite are very deadly to inverts, as are elevated nitrates I would not add inverts to the tank until after the cycle has completed

If your tank is cycling there should not be anything living it it, so there should be no need to feed the tank

Water changes are 10-25% weekly once your cycle has completed

Ammonia and Nitrite are very deadly to inverts, as are elevated nitrates I would not add inverts to the tank until after the cycle has completed

Deff agree.. If your just starting you need your tank to finish its cycle and make surr no ammonia or nitrates are in the tank. Dont rush take ur time.

Thanks this is not a rush project by no means. We used RO/DI water as well.

Now the salinity's lower 1.019. I have not added any water or chemicals. Why would it be lower? Is this a part of the process I missed?

Thanks,
Angie

Yes we are using a Fluval hydrometer that I paid $12 for. It uses a suction cup on the side but you can also remove it. For now, we are leaving it inside. We also have a thermometer/hydrometer combination, but I was not sure of the accuracy and it is difficult to get an accurate reading since you can't see it at eye level.

I am running out of money for this phase. I homeschool my 13 year old son, who wants to be a marine biologist. This is why we have the tank. We all enjoy it, but it is mainly is project with mine and my husband's guidance.

How much would a refractor be? I am using RO/DI water. We have not added any other water.

Thanks,
Angie

The link I posted some places are cheaper I got mine at local fish store where I get my salt water fish ect. There more but worth it and easier and not a paon..the hydrometer I had also and was pain why I got thag one.

I have found many refractometers on eBay. Would any of those be decent? I simply cannot buy one for $64.00 right now.
Thanks.
Angie

Yea I gdt eh with Ebay but yea or try craigslist might get lucky to find one around you. I found tons stuff on craigs before.

I have found many refractometers on eBay. Would any of those be decent? I simply cannot buy one for $64.00 right now.
Thanks.
Angie

Just wait and save up for it. Its better to buy good stuff. I been there before. I have been in the planning stages for my tank for about 6 months and saving up to buy stuff little by little. This hobby is expensive but you feel more gratification as you buy each piece of equipment until you are ready to go.

Most of these beautiful tanks you see on here don't get beautiful over night and don't get built over night either. They take hard work and dedication but it that much more gratifying in the end.

You can probrably get a used one on craigslist if you are lucky enough.

just make sure when you get a refractometer that you have it adjusted to insure accuracy (you do this by using RO water and it should read 0, if it does not each refactormeter comes with a tool that allows you to adjust it)

the problem with plastic readers is the fact that if ya get one bubble the reading is off >.< i learned this the hard way ; ;

I understand the expensive of the hobby and I am okay with that. My son whom we homeschool has been so excited and reading about every hermit crab and snail out there as well as other CUC. Also reading about corals and trying to design in his head the end result. This is a child who hated reading and you couldn't pull off the video game.

I am just about to purchase a microscope and other curriculum so I only have so many hundreds at a time. We do not do credit cards.

I may have to buy a cheaper one and replace it later with a nicer one. Would the LFS have a refractometer? They sell RO/DI water.

Thanks,
Angie

Most LFS do sell refactors, but the price will vary from place to place depending on the quality

i am glad that your son is really into fishes ^^ most fish recognize their owners faces...whenever i approach the tank my fishes come right too me, but when a stranger approaches the tank my foxface runs off (she is a very shy fish)

regardless of who comes to the tank she will come to anyone who holds her nemo clip i use for feeding (food will win any fish over :P )

I understand the expensive of the hobby and I am okay with that. My son whom we homeschool has been so excited and reading about every hermit crab and snail out there as well as other CUC. Also reading about corals and trying to design in his head the end result. This is a child who hated reading and you couldn't pull off the video game.

I am just about to purchase a microscope and other curriculum so I only have so many hundreds at a time. We do not do credit cards.

I may have to buy a cheaper one and replace it later with a nicer one. Would the LFS have a refractometer? They sell RO/DI water.

Thanks,
Angie

the lfs will sell you a refractometer for an absurdly high price, it will save you around $40 to buy one online, but do make sure you get the calibration fluid.

To all the other readers out there: dont calibrate with RO/DI water, calibrating to value so far from you actual testing region will lower the accuracy of the test. The calibration fluid is really cheap, so take the time to get the right stuff.

When you do get the refractometer and can get an accurate reading, just top off with saltwater until you get to the right salinity.

Yea forgot to say that i had to get that liquid also to calibrate the device then after test the water and then adjust the water until it was correct.

There is nothing wrong with the refractometers sold online for $30 to $40. With the plastic hydrometers, they may cost $12, but they have to be replaced every 6 months or so, and can be very innacurate right out of the box. The calibration fluid for the refractometer costs about $3 as well. Definitely a good investment instead of buying plastic hydrometers. Also, if you are using the plastic hydrometer, it's better not to leave it in the tank. Remove it after each use and rinse it thoroughly with tap water, then let it dry before using again. Any sort of salt build up or residue, or air bubbles can impact the reading.

Back