Wedge's 46g Bowfront Reef

slwedge71

reef enthusiast
Had my tank for about 2 years now. Slowly adding and stocking and changing stuff around. About 2 weeks ago I added a refugium I built.

IMG_20111201_163044.jpg

IMG_20111201_163112.jpg

This weekend I went and got some awesome looking live rock and filled the rest of the tank up!
IMG_20111204_161947.jpg

Here is a better shot of the refugium
IMG_20111204_162009.jpg

My cats loved it so much they thought they could go fishing in it this weekend !!!
IMG_20111203_053334.jpg

Last edited:
Got some more live rock on Sunday. I'm on the west coast of Florida and stores are open 7 days a week down here with really good stock.

Last edited:
highly doubt it considering reefs2go is a sponsor lol

and man im digging your aquascaping its so low profile its awesome :D

Got the idea from one of the beaches my family and I go snorklying at. Just a long, low profile rock line in the shallows. It has tons of life!!

I need to live near an ocean lol I'm stuck here in central new York. Yuckkk
i used to live near an ocean (gulf of mexico coast of texas), dont miss it at all nasty murky water, the only time the water would be clear and blue/green was when bad weather was coming , e.g : hurricanes

i used to live near an ocean (gulf of mexico coast of texas), dont miss it at all nasty murky water, the only time the water would be clear and blue/green was when bad weather was coming , e.g : hurricanes

Water is clear here most of the time. Go to the beaches almost every weekend to swim and snorkle.

Looks great!

Is that a nem in the center front though? If so it looks really unhealthy, no nem should be white like that.

It's a purple tip. It was after a small piece of silver side I put in the tank. The coral banded shrimp took it and was teasing him. Dumb shrimp. In the end I believe the anom got his fish.

Purple tip? Is that suppose to be a condy nem?

If so the body should still be tan color, not white. Even the seabee nems should be a light brown

Purple tip? Is that suppose to be a condy nem?

If so the body should still be tan color, not white. Even the seabee nems should be a light brown

The base of the anom is brownish. and the tenicles are a whiteish pink with a purple tip. Trust me when I say this anom is very healthy and happy. Well as long as the erchant leaves it alone and doesn't park beside it for a day. I'll try and get a better pic of the anom for you.

Ya, that is not a healthy looking nem

What are your water parameters and lighting?

Good news is, with some TLC you can get it back to full health.

What I have is: Pink Tipped Haitian Reef Anemone

"The Pink-Tipped Anemone is one of the most familiar and commonly available of the anemones in the aquarium trade. Its beautiful colors and inexpensive price make it a popular anemone, especially for beginners. In the aquarium a base size of about 4" is common. This species has diverse color variations. The base color is usually brown to white and the tentacles may or may not have magenta, purple, or green tips on its long tapering tentacles. The tentacles may occasionally develop a bubble-like appearance to them. It prefers to bury its base in the sand or into the crevice of a rock for protection"

According to my friend, the anom is doing fine. It just doesn't like my clown and vise versa.

I realize that, i have no doubt that is the correct identification of that anemone (which btw wont host clowns, which is partly why your clowns arent interested in it), im telling you that the white color isnt healthy. A healthy anemone should all be a light tan color with pink tips.

This thread contains the exact same species of anemone, but do you notice the difference in color? Yours might not be this dark when fully healthy, but it shouldnt be white like that.
https://www.livingreefs.com/many-arms-do-you-see-anemone-t37953.html

Ya, that is not a healthy looking nem

What are your water parameters and lighting?

Good news is, with some TLC you can get it back to full health.

Well, I took readings 3 days ago and all my lvls where normal. So today I tooke readings and all was normal but decided to have my water checked out at a local store where I get my live rock. My salinity by my Hydrometer said 1.023 which is in the middle of the what it should be, but my store said it was 1.020. I know his equipment is much better then mine.

The nem is still alive and kicking. He does get mad when the urchent comes over near him. I even have new stuff spouting up on my rocks and will take pictures tonight and post them.

Back