weird little guy

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
ok so there is this small bluish creature with a small white ribbon like pattern down the middle of its back. It pokes around on one of the rocks and when scared freezes...it seems to have multiplied a few times and I just dont know what it is. Here are some pictures...sorry they are not of the best quality and these are while he is "frozen"...

2010-08-13184016.jpg

2010-08-13190919.jpg

So it moves around?? Or it's stationary?

If it's stationary, it looks like a sort of mushroom. If it moves, maybe a nudibranch of some sort?

it moves around... i was thinking nudi but wasnt sure. it kinds grazes around and acts all cool like haha. what are the details of a nudibranch? Should I leave him or get rid of him

well I was leaning toward nudibranch bit wanted some opinion... it acts like one and so I think I am going to go in that direction. .. any other opinions?

ok so this may or may not help but I did get a picture of one on the glass from the underside... They appear to have a pointy head with a split tail as this picture will demonstrate. Im actually getting kind of worried that this is some annoying pest that will harm my corals although nothing has happened as of yet.

2010-08-15134224.jpg

2010-08-15134326.jpg

and dunno if it helps but they appear to sort of shuffle walk and are actually quite speedy and when prodded will make a very hasty retreat, I just wish I could get it on video

son of a ... they are so pretty lol.... I assume since I see babies that this pest might be a little tough to get rid of. Do you have suggestions that wont kill my reef?

in the reading most ppl say unless you have the red planaria then it really isnt too bad as long as there is not a population explosion...what is the merit to this claim

I don't know about those claims so no help there.Personally,I seen them multiply to plaque proportions.

Flatworm Exit is what people use the most.Follow direction carefully.

I agree with Dominick -- even the ones that aren't the red planaria multiply so fast. I had some in my tank that were covering the corals and clearly making the corals unhappy -- they wouldn't open up anymore.

Flatworm Exit is the way to go. Be ready to do a big water change afterwards and run carbon.

are there any creatures that dine on them that I could get? I don't have the carbon and can't afford any new products right at this moment... why the carbon? can I just run a freshwater carbon filter?

Yeah you can run a freshwater carbon filter -- as long as the media is fresh.

Some wrasses will eat them sometimes, but it's not guaranteed. Usually by the time there are enough in the tank for you to spot them, there are too many for a fish to take care of.

OK so I have done two doses of the flatworm Med and the creatures in my tank are still just hanging out like nothing matters. when I described their coloration to my fish Guy he was somewhat perplexed, what are the chances these aren't flatworms? how long should I wait for better results from the Med?

They are definitely flatworms. No question about it from your pics.

The medication should work immediately. I had mixed success with it. When I had flatworms, I used 10 times the dosage on the box, and my guys still didn't die. They acted agitated and moved around a lot, but they were definitely still alive and kicking. I ended up doing a freshwater dip on the rocks and corals that I saw them on.

Back